Warning: Another lengthy post ahead.
~Mom circa 1969~
I know, right? My mother is beautiful! Dad says he married her for her looks. I agree she's pretty foxy, but if you think she's gorgeous outside, you should get to know her inside.
Ugh. I'm having such a hard time figuring out what I want to say about Mom. Every word I type (compassionate, kind, generous, funny, intelligent...) are just not enough. She really is the most fabulous person I know. She's a lady. She's patient. She's forgiving. Ooo, ooo, ooo! I've got a story about that. To preface this story, let's just say, I'm glad she's still around to celebrate another birthday.
The Accident of 1994
So, one day, mom and I went to "town" to get groceries ("town" is roughly 35 miles away). I had already failed my driving test twice, so I was driving with the authority of a permit. We were driving my grandparents car for reasons too long to go into now. They had those super cool automatic seat belts, remember those? They just don't make 'em like they did back then. On the way there, I noticed a RED lever and asked mom about it. "Oh, that's the emergency seat belt release in case you get in an accident." Long story short, I rolled the car on our way home. I was able to crawl out my door and as I was trying to get her door open, those rad automatic seat belts started to move. Since we landed upside down, and mom was suspended from them, the movement of the seat belts started to choke her. I couldn't get her door open, it was a little, okay a lot, crushed. I ran around to my side, crawled through and yes, I had to use the emergency seat belt release. When I did that, she fell to the top of the car (remember it was upside down) and felt a little pain in her neck. I don't know what my next move would have been. Drag her across the bucket seat and out the driver side door? She never gave me the option. She told me not to move her, her neck hurt. This is where the Brenda drama and panic set in. I ran to the side of the road to try to flag someone down. Within seconds, a caravan of 5 or 6 cars were driving right past me. How fortunate they hadn't been caravaning down the road 1 minute earlier, right? Stupid 16 year old driver.
My panic wasn't subsiding (like I said, I USED to be drama). Mom didn't help me out, she kept calling for me and asking me what happened. I would tell her, then she would ask why we had grandma's car. I would explain. Then she would start asking all over again. Very calmly, mind you. Mom is not easily ruffled, even in a life threatening accident. I think it bugged her that she couldn't remember the details. Freaked me out though! Anyway, firetrucks and ambulances were called. Our Bishop drove by and I chased him down (all hail Bishop Ted). Our little county fire department almost got to use their "jaws of life", before someone suggested pulling her through the driver side on a stretcher. As a little tangent here, the ambulance guys were not all that impressive. They put Mom's neck brace on upside down, took us to the wrong hospital and then charged us for a knee injury that I never had.
To make matters worse, Dad was driving to intercept us (he needed a car part in "town"-this was before cell phones) and passed the accident scene. You know those dramatic hospital scenes in movies? The one where the concerned husband bursts through the glass doors of the emergency room demanding information on his wife. I totally witnessed that. Dad flies through the double doors, sees me, and says this with nostrils flaring: "I guess you're not ready to drive yet". He denies it to this day, but the rest of you know enough not to bet against my memory. Then he was briefed by Ted, who unfortunately told him all the incompetence of the EMT's. That set him off a little bit and he started yelling, no, screaming at the nursing staff, demanding she be moved to a different hospital. To defend dad, when he's scared, he acts out in anger. The man must have been terrified. Ted calmed him down (all hail Bishop Ted). The X-rays confirmed the break and then she was transported to a bigger hospital for surgery. I got to ride home with Ted and Jean and then face Matt. Another one who acts out in anger when he's scared. I don't blame them. I deserved it.
The next day, we went to see Mom before she went into surgery. It was horrible. She was in traction. If you don't know what that is, basically, they screw your head to a metal frame so it's immobile. Screws. Metal screws in her temple. Let the bawl fest begin. I sobbed and apologized over and over. She, of course, was comforting me, the irresponsible teen who dang near paralyzed her. She went on to have three vertebrae fused together with bone from her hip. She came home with a walker! I suck! I suck so bad! The girls came home from Utah to help out. Friends, neighbors, and ward members fed us for who knows how long. People were even stealing our laundry during the day while Mom was still in the hospital (we're not big on locking doors). I do have pictures of the twisted metal that was my grandparents car. I just can't find them. Maybe later, eh?
~Still standing~
She's never made me feel guilty about that accident. Of course, with my dear siblings, she's never had to. I wish I could say I was the perfect daughter after that, to make up for disabling her. On the contrary, I was a rotten little thing at times. She's forgiven me for that, as well.
I wish I were more like Mom. She's quiet, and sensible, and sweet. Like I said, a lady. I miss her so much. So, happy birthday Mom! Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane, even if I was driving.


17 comments:
Wow... that's quite a story! I'm so glad everything turned out OK. Happy Birthday to your mom!
(BTW, now I can add a few more items to the list of things we have in common. My mom is also named Louise and has a picture almost exactly like that. In fact, if I didn't know better I'd say my mom borrowed your mom's sweater. Also, I rolled my truck, so... there you go.)
~A
Happy Happy Birthday! We sure love and miss you guys. Sweet post! xoxo
Such a great post! Our mom's the coolest- not to brag or anything!
Wow. That is amazing. I'm glad your Mom was relatively okay. I totalled 2 cars in a year, but nothing so tragic happened. Thank goodness for seatbelts.
If I read any more teen driving horror stories, Julie will NEVER get her license. Eeeeeek!
Yikes, quite a story. I'm glad you're mom is still around for you and your family. Happy birthday to her!
Happy Birthday Aunt Louise!
Brenda, did you step on a lot of cracks when you were a kid?
Well not to brag or anything but I am the only lucky girl in this world that will get to have her as a Mother in law. Brenda you might have been the nerd that wrecked the car but you are totally right when you say that there are just not enough words to describe your Mom! She is an amazing woman! I love you Louise, Happy Birthday!
Lisa's comment cracked me up!! Love you mom--all they accuse you of is true!
I don't know if you remember the timing of all this Brenda, but Emily bore her testimony last Sunday, from her wheelchair, and talked about that day in May 15 years ago when she was a 16 year old driver that got distracted for a few tiny seconds.. we all know the outcome. I felt guilty all over again, why was I so lucky 7 months later when we wrecked? She has come so far, and I have been so blessed- I hope we will understand questions like this in the next life. Anywho, not to brag or anything, but I have FIVE beautiful, fabulous daughters.I love you all. Thanks Brenda! Mom
Oh man I love my Aunt Loise too (even though her comment made me misty eyed I'll forgive her. All of it a definite blessing)!
Happy Birthday Dear Aunt!!You really do have some awesome qualities!! (And I'm definitely bragging!)
Whew! Sorry I am late...just got back from Youth Conference tonight. Happy Birthday Mom! I love you sooooooo much. Simply put...you ROCK! My girls will never drive either and they can always blame their Aunt Brenda for it!!
Louise is in a class all by herself. I hope she knows why I love her so much. Only cause I've given her many stressesshe she didin't ask for and she still talks to me. Also everyone forgot too that she still lives with KENT!! Rock of a woman!!!! XOXOXO
So, this is the "breaking your mom's back story" from your 100th post. Wow. Very blessed that things worked out the way they did. She looks a lot like your sister in that 1st picture. Happy Birthday, Brenda's mom!
PS - can you email me your right email address? I lost it - kebs314@yahoo.com. Thanks!
WOW! I am so glad that she is Ok.
Geesh that is crazy, at least you were a good kid after that for her!!! Loving the scanned pictures!
Brendy............ Help! I have tried many tims to get music on my blog. I'm frustrated. And that's saying it nicely. I got a new computer and I'm having a few issues. andy way I want a lesson on how to put tunes on my site. Please, please, give me some pointers. All the lessons/helps seem greek. If you have time email me at dlublin@cox.net I working on a Mac Book Air Fun but frustrating!! Just when you have a good day and want to spend it wi AD. Maybe if there is a website for dummies you know about send me that. When are you going to WA? Thanks, Aunt DEE DAH
Post a Comment