Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Do You Know Where Santee Alley Is?

I don't know how many times I asked this question on Monday. A LOT! Just try finding an alleyway that's 10 feet wide and maybe the length of one city block in all of downtown L.A. It's not so easy my friends. But that's just what me and my deal-crazed sister, Becky did.

I BLAME Courtney. If she didn't have a mother who knows all the ins and outs of bargain shopping I would have never driven a half an hour lost in the bowels of ghetto L.A. I felt so insecure that instead of using my diaper bag or pocket to hold my cell phone, I used my bra purse. That way, if anyone robbed me and forced me to empty my bulging pocket, I would still have my phone to call for help. Then again, I was lost and therefore, unable to tell anyone how to get to me to save me. What? I'm from a small town. I didn't bring my camera either, for the same reason. All of these pictures are nabbed from people on the Internet who weren't afraid of being mugged.

The craziest part about it, was that we knew we were somewhat close and no one seemed to know what we were talking about. How do you live that close to the fashion district and NOT know what middle aged white tourist women are looking for? Enter, the guy from the BF Goodrich Tire Store. Seriously, the tire guy knew where we were trying to go. Bless him for listening to his wife when she was ranting on and on about the killer deal she got on a fake Prada handbag.

When we got to Santee Ave., it wasn't what we were expecting. It was a full blown market mini mall. Courtney had told us it was literally (not litrally-inside Miles joke) an alley. Still, there were good deals to be seen, just not the mass amounts of purses we were promised. There were mass amounts of fabric. Three blocks of bolts and bolts and bolts and bolts of every kind of fabric. You can't fathom how many fabric stores there were. We were flabbergasted that so many stores could stay in business when they were surrounded by the exact same store on every side. The fabric turned in to clothing stores. Some of these even had purses. But we still weren't impressed. This went on and on for a few blocks when we turned a corner.


~Bolts of Fabric and a picture I found of the bag Courtney wanted. I swear I didn't see it there though~

Low and behold, there was a teeny tiny alley with a banner over it declaring "Santee Alley". Bingo bango sister. We found the jack pot. So. Many. Purses. Fake Chanel. Fake Valentino. Fake Gucci. Fake Dolce and Gabanna. Fake Jimmy Choo. Fake Coach. Fake anything.


~Santee Alley, Monday wasn't this crowded~

It only took me 4 little shops to make a decision.


~My cute, but huge, fake Jimmy Choo bag.~

Becky wanted to see every purse there. She dang near did. But then time was closing in on 5pm and they shut down at 5 PM! The pressure was on and she started to panic. "Do you like this on better than the one I liked 6 shops ago?" she would ask. "Becky, I have no idea which purse you are referring to" I would reply. "I don't remember it either, I just remembered I liked it" she would counter. There was a purse overload in her brain that was permanently erasing all previous purse perusing out of her mind. Luckily, she remembered which shop carried the mystery purse that she remembered liking. We found the said purse with seconds to spare.


~Purse overload. I never did get a picture of Beck's foncy, silver Gucci number. It rocks, though.~

Then we had to high tail it back to the car before dark. For sure that's when the bad guys come out, at 5:30pm.

My only regret is not finding the purse Courtney was looking for. We have her to THANK for our killer purses, after all! I promise I'll go back soon and look more closely for you!

11 comments:

Heidi said...

I want to go there. It looks crazy, but I like purses for cheap. :)

TheShippenFamily said...

That looks like my type of shopping!!Looks fun.

Heather said...

I want to go there too! I'll just send you a picture of the purse I want- and make YOU do the searching. What are sisters for? Love ya!

The Fear Fam said...

I wanna go!

Courtney said...

Yeah you guys are sooo rude, I give you my secret shopping alley and you dont even get me a bag! RUDE! jk I hope you guys had fun, you need more time even though it is just a alley! I think its really scary though!

Janet + Craig said...

OK, real question - how can you tell it's fake??

I'm holding my breathe for a real one. Coach, brown, adorable. One day.... it was going to be my gift for surviving Craig at the academy. Dang it!

I grew up in the hood, I mean, ghetto hood, of East side San Jose baby! I would (way past tense) jog at 10PM, I just knew what streets to avoid. Plus I took lots of Karate lessons!

Steve said...

Man you should be happy that you can put things in your bra and nobody notices. If i put a phone in my bra it would look like I had a big phone growing on my chest wall, lucky girl.
Liz not Steve

Joneel said...

I could have driven you straight there. Sometimes you younger folks
don't rely on us older, more experienced folks. = )

Katie S said...

That looks like fun! I need a new bag - too bad I'm not there.

BTW - I am tagging you. No need to fear. It's easy and you're creative brain will keep me laughing, I'm sure. :)

Holly said...

Wow! That sounds way fun! Any shopping with sisters is FUN! Glad you found the purse you were looking for..and Becky was only "testing" your patience...she told me so.

Becky Noftle said...

Sooooo glad we lived through it. Though every night in bed I think through things---should have grabbed the olive green one, oh and the red cause red goes with brown and black, and that mustard yellow one was beautiful, and the one I said to get for Mom I should have got one of those, it might make me try to be more lady like, and that huge orange bag I should have got that for Sammi to use for sleepovers and junior high sports.....and so on, and so on. I tell you it's exhausting kind of like post traumatic shopping disorder, I felt rushed, overstimulated I need another chance, please sister, just one more trip to Santee alley, I'll bring the mace.