Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cars=GRRRRRRRR

So it's been a while since something tragically hilarious has happened to me. It was just a matter of time. To back up, my car died a couple of months ago. I think I might have mentioned that a few posts back. Come to find out, some one (in a large truck we suspect) hit my front end in a parking lot and then did what everyone in America would most likely do. Bailed. The weird part is that there wasn't really any noticeable exterior damage. Trevor did find a smallish dent and scratch but that was only when the car had already died. We got it fixed (thank heavens for auto insurance) but it was still in desperate need of an alignment.

First, I needed tires. Sam's Club $311.00. Then, today I went to get that much needed alignment. Bear Alignment and Brakes $55.00. Not too bad.

But wait, this is me we're talking about. Not only was it out of alignment, but the cambers were way off too, and not the way they are usually off in cars. Instead of slanting inward (negative), they were slanting outward (positive). BTW, I learned all this today. I'm super knowledgeable on alignments now. You can ask me anything. Tires are not supposed to be negative or positively slanting. They should be at a zero station...or something to that effect. Mine were bad. The first thing Paul (from Bear Alignment and Brakes...nice guy) said was, "Were you in an accident?" Yes and no Paul, it wasn't me. It was the *@!% that hit me and ran away like the California legislature runs from a balanced budget (if you live in California that last part is high-larious).

The trouble is that a Chrysler Town and Country is not made to have the cambers adjusted. So the only way to fix this problem is to put new specialized bolts on the struts (I sound so car savvy). So...new bolts. Bear Alignment and Brakes $202.95. Ugh (that's the sound I make when all the air is knocked out of me from the sucker punch to my gut).

It's all good, because I should have no further problems and they do the camber alignments free for life. Awesome. So what should have been a 1 hour job took 2 1/2. But hey, if it's done right it's worth it. And they took their time continually testing their work. Adjusting, test driving, adjusting, test driving, adjusting, test driving to make sure it was perfect. And then it was done. And I was on the road...for 100 feet. Because 100 feet down the road, I ran out of gas.

I should mention that Preston was home babysitting Carson and Abby. After all, I was only going to be gone an hour. William had finally fallen asleep and now we were stuck on the side of the road in 85 degree weather. I called Trevor, who said, and I quote, "You're killing me, Brenda"! Seriously? So I said something snarky as I'm known to do from time to time, and hung up. I attempted to push the car off the side of the road (thinking someone would see this poor mom and pull over to help...not so much. You're too kind fellow drivers) but evidently I can't push nearly 4000 lbs (it was on an incline!). So, I called back my buddy Paul from Bear Alignment and Brakes and explained my humiliating situation. He sent two brawly men over and together we got the ol' van into a parking lot. Then, they went above and beyond and brought me back gas. Trevor called back to say that he had called AAA and they wouldn't be out to save me for another 50 minutes or so. Whatever AAA. I can take care of myself thank you very much...or at least Paul and the boys can.

After the boys saved me, I drove to the nearest gas station to fill up. Arco gas $50.00. Then, I had to get cash at the bank. Bank of America $20.00. Then, I went to a drive-thru to break the $20 bill. Peter's Burgers $1.75. And finally, back to Bear Alignment and Brake to pay them back for the gas and gas container. Bear Alignment and Brake $15.

And now I'm home. The house was still standing, the kids were dressed, and the T.V. was off! Preston was just starting to make sandwiches for lunch as I walked in the door. Such a good boy! But I stopped him and took them all to McDonald's. McDonald's $6.69. Chrysler Town and Country maintenence $587.39 and counting. I need a new battery and an oil change by Tuesday. But if it gets me to Washington without any issues...it's priceless.

No comments: