I'll keep this sort of short. I turned 34 on Saturday. It was my very favorite birthday ever. You know why? Because this guy was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We made the day all about him, just as it should be. We had family from everywhere come stay with us. Grandma and Grandpa with Aunt Becky tagging along flew in from Washington. Uncle Matt and Aunt Courtney were already here for Thanksgiving...bonus! Aunt Holly and Uncle Brian cut their family Thanksgiving short to drive here from Utah. We even were able to surprise Carson with his very best cousin, Dexter! It was hilarious. Let me preface and say that when Carce found out Dexy couldn't come, there was a 45 minute crying jag and two days of sulking around the house. So we were so excited when Heather called to say she and Dexter were coming after all. Carson isn't one for putting himself in any sort of embarrassing situation. So he didn't yell, run in for a big hug or get excited (minus the enormous smile he couldn't hide) he just said, as he rubbed the top of Dexter's head, "Dexy, you got a haircut! Looks good. I need one too". That's our boy.
The baptism was amazing. So many people came. Some very special people participated. Whenever we asked him if he was excited to get baptized, he would say the same thing, "I'm going to swim in the font". Evidently he did. Trevor said after he was baptized he swam to the steps and asked if he could get baptized again. I'm so glad he liked it!
Now for my tender moment. While Carson was being confirmed a member and given the perfect gift of the Holy Ghost (the best gift ever) I found myself more than a little overwhelmed. Up to that point, I just had a giddy smile on my face as I watched my boy unable to sit still on his chair, talking excitedly to his cousins and seeing his perfect little face come out of the water. I was so happy. As he was confirmed, every trial that has faced our little man these past couple of years washed over me and I was crying. He has dealt with so much and I don't even think he realizes it. A blessing I guess. But as I was listening to the beautiful blessing his father was giving him, all that pain and stress left me. I knew that I was being comforted and that Carson now had such a powerful force behind him to help him will ALL his trials forever. He was going to be fine. I knew this with such a perfect knowledge that those tears started to come even harder. I don't know that I've ever felt the Spirit so strong or been so comforted. It was awesome and I'll never forget it. I am so grateful for my own testimony and the comfort that it brings into my life and am so grateful that my children have the same opportunity to have this blessing in their own lives. It was such a special night.
After the baptism, we headed over to our casa for dinner. I took the lazy man's way out and had Chronic Taco cater. Best. Decision. Ever. Great food, great price and no work. Robbie's the man. Our house was super full and it was perfect. Trevor had his whole family here with Uncle Don, Aunt Sharene, Josh and Gloriana coming from Sacramento and Amy and John travelling up from Oceanside. No need to tell you that we felt loved!
I promised to keep it short and couldn't. It was really a perfect day. I hope he looks back and remembers how much love and support he received and how awesome it felt being baptized, so much that he wanted to do it twice.









4 comments:
Wow! That was a great post!! Love it!! Why won't you take over MY blog?? So glad we got to come for Carson's special day. It was awesome! Love you guys so much! :0)
Lovely post and what a great spiritual experience for you all. Congratulations on your baptism Carson.
Awesome post Brenda, it was almost as good as being there in person! It was worth the effort to be there, even the 4 am leaving for the airport part. Love you, and especially that newly baptized boy.
So glad we were able to come. Even with the 45 minute crying from Dexter once the departure from his beloved Carson set in!! Only 3 more weeks, and they can be reunited again :) Love you guys!
Post a Comment