Sunday, March 25, 2007

Preston's Turn

Preston. What can I say about Preston. He is our sweetheart. He tries so hard to please everyone around him. His personality reminds me so much of his Dad's. He is such a social dude and will talk to anyone! Here's what he's been up to lately.

Pres has taken a big interest in baseball since he started T-ball last spring. Here he is with Trevor at an A's game (no worries we're still Angel/Mariner fans-we haven't forgotten where we came from!).

He also started Kindergarten this year and LOVES it! Especially his teacher Ms. Montes.


Here he is on a field trip to a pumpkin farm. The kids couldn't get over the pumpkin mountain.



Any of you who know Preston also know he's a bit of a Star Wars fan (like I said, he takes after his dad). This is our Storm Trooper on Halloween. Last year he was Luke Skywalker.


Preston is the luckiest guy on earth. He has 8 boy cousins. No matter which Grandpa's house we're at there's always a buddy around. Here's Connor.


and the Utah boys Brax, Pres, Wes, Tyce, and Carce. Now, we need pictures with Jax, Carter and Jake!!!


This picture is to preface my favorite story of Preston. Bear with me, it's a little long. In April of 2005, Preston started asking us for a sister. We thought that was cute and a good idea so we decided to start trying the next month. Preston, however, wasn't very patient (the one thing he got from me besides my cowlick). We told him it would probably take some time and he needed to pray for a little brother or sister. He didn't want another brother though so he would only pray for a sister. Every blessing before a meal, and every family prayer at night, Preston would pray for a sister. Once, I even caught him in his room on his knees with his hands folded. When I asked him what he was doing, he said, "I'm praying to Jesus to send my little sister to me. I'm praying hard like Joseph Smith." So sweet!!! I left him alone and 10 minutes later he came to me pretty frustrated that Jesus hadn't brought his sister yet. Like I said, impatient like his mom. (I used the opportunity to explain that sometimes prayers aren't answered right away and enlighten him on how long the baby would be in my tummy.) Preston was really diligent though and kept on praying and telling people that he was going to have a baby sister (I was still not expecting). Months and months passed, and still no baby, but he was not to be deterred. He was certain that he was going to have a sister. Well, January 2006 rolled around and we moved to San Jose,CA from Utah, Preston was still sure there was a sister coming. On March 30th, we were in the car running errands and Preston said to me, in an offhand voice "Mom, last night there was a bright light in your room and it woke me up. It was an angel putting my sister in your tummy." I said "OK." We were wondering if it was ever going to happen and Preston had been relentless for a year on this sister thing so I didn't pay much attention to it. Two days later, I found out I was pregnant. I told Preston first. He HAD prayed the hardest! Then, he got to tell his Daddy, on April Fools Day! We had a good time with that one!!! We still had one problem though. We had to prepare him for the possibility of another brother. You see, he was now praying for the health of his little sister. We told him we could have a boy and that we would love him too. But he said "No, Jesus will be mad if you have a boy. He wants us to have a girl." Another opportunity to teach here. "Jesus doesn't care if it's a boy or a girl and would never be mad". No go. A girl or nothin'. A few months later we had the ultrasound and got the confirmation that it was, indeed, a girl. We were so excited to pick up Preston from the babysitter and tell him. We knew he'd be just as excited as us. We were wrong. We told him and he just looked at us with this incredulous look on his face and said "I know." It was like we hadn't been listening to him for over a year!!! He knew! He was, however, ecstatic when she did arrive 20 months after his initial prediction. And this picture shows how much he loves his little sister. He is my biggest helper and loves to hold her and show her off to his friends. I know she's in good hands when she's with her big brother. Someday we'll be able to tell her how hard Preston prayed to get her here.

1 comment:

Kevin & Chelsey said...

Brenda...Nice job on the blog. It was fun to read up on the family.