Thursday, August 2, 2007

Ode to Royal

It seems like the weeks leading up to a trip home are my most stressful and chaotic. I can't explain what it's like for me to go home. I love Royal City. I feel like everything slows down there, and I don't just mean the local drivers. My kids become less obsessed with T.V. and actually want to play outside. The best part is that I don't have to be out there with them. They can play in the front yard, back yard or walk to my sisters house without me having a panic attack. I love the scenery. All the farm lands stretching over the hills and, (at risk of sound incredibly cheesy) making a gorgeous patchwork quilt. I've never really expressed this to anyone but Trevor, but farmland is the most beautiful sight to me. I love looking at it from a plane or from the top of a hill. Hmmm. Just heaven to me. In fact my favorite smell is fresh cut hay mixed with diesel. Weird, I know, but I love it. I love driving my Dad's truck or riding on the four wheeler. We can take it up and down the streets or have Jackson be the kids chauffeur. I like the safety that I feel there. That I can leave the front door unlocked during the day (except that the kids are constantly going in and out and letting all the flies in) or not buckle the boys if I'm just running to the store (I know, I know most accidents happen close to home, but there are hardly any other cars on the road! Why do I have the feeling I'm going to get hate mail for that one?) I love going 35 miles and it only taking 30 minutes to get there. I love that everyone on the road waves whether you know them or not. I love that you can go to the Allred's pond or Christensen's pool anytime because friends share everything. In fact, I can't remember a time when my parents asked to borrow tents or snowmobiles or cars for our family get-togethers and were turned down. I love that my family returns these favors. I, above all, love being with my family. We may get on each others nerves and are probably too hard on each other but we still have so much fun. I love knowing that we are making memories for our own children, the way our parents did when we were young (wipe single tear). In short, I love going home. I feel like my soul is re-filled or re-energized after I've been there. You can take the girl out of the small town, but you can't take the small town out of the girl.
*I'll post different parts of our trip over the next few days. You just can't do a 2 week vacay in 1 posting!*



2 comments:

Steve said...

Brenda you took the words write out of me. I love nothing more than to go home to the country. It feels like everything around you just stops and you can breathe. My favorite smells are fresh cut hay. When we drive to Idaho we always roll the window down once we get there so that we can just breathe. I agree you can never take the country out of the girl.

Brooke said...

B- We had such a great time hanging out with you and your family. We miss not having you here in Utah. You look amazing! Keep the cute kids coming!