My sister Heather just called me with some terribly sad news. They had breaking news in Utah, our beloved President Hinckley passed away tonight at home. She shrewdly assumed it wasn't going to be breaking news in California. But it should have been in my opinion. This might be a tad lengthy for post of this nature, but it's not only my blog, it's kind of my journal.
It's not a shock, he was 97 after all, but, he was kind of "my guy" as far as Prophets go. I was very young when President Kimball died, as well as when President Benson died. I never felt really connected with President Hunter, as his time as President was so short. President Hinckley was prophet for almost 13 years. And they seemed to be the most influential years for me gospel wise.
I loved his sense of humor. He was so eloquent and kind, but had a sweet quirkiness about him too. I will always remember his legacy of temples. I can't remember the number, but so many temples have been built under his direction. I especially admire his love of his wife. I was always so touched when he talked about her. In the conference after her passing, he said about her death, "As I held her hand and saw mortal life drain from her fingers, I confess I was overcome. Before I married her, she had been the girl of my dreams, to use the words of a song then popular. She was my dear companion for more than two-thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. We've walked together side by side through all of these years, coequals and companions through storm and sunshine. And now in my old age, she has again become the girl of my dreams".
So sweet right? Anyway, reading that again makes me happy for him. He's reunited with his sweetheart and is in a much more peaceful and beautiful place. Anyway, I just thought I'd share some of my thoughts about him. He was truly a prophet of God and I just adored him. I know that President Monson will be a wonderful president as well and I'm grateful to know that the Lord has a perfect plan for His church and that we never will be left without successor to our prophet. I take great comfort in that, and great comfort in this testimony from our dear President Hinckley, "Now, my brothers and sisters, I express to you again my love. May heaven smile upon you. This work is true. Never doubt it. God our Eternal Father lives. Jesus is our Redeemer, our Lord, the Son of the living God. Joseph was a prophet, the Book of Mormon is of divine origin, and this is God's holy work in the earth. I leave you my witness, my love, my blessing as we separate to go to our homes. May God be with you till we meet again is my humble prayer".
I can just see him now, waving his cane goodbye to us all. He will be missed.

13 comments:
Oh gosh, I'm trying to be stoic about this whole thing, but your post made me teary. He was SO loved, by all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
We must have been writing and think all the same thoughts at the exact same time. Not a huge shock but certainly a monumental occasion for our generation. I thought of him like a grandpa and I love that quote that you put in about his wife. Thanks Bren.
Of course I am sad to see him go but I definitely think he put in his time, was ready to be with his wife, and is still looking out for us from above! Thanks for you thoughts and quotes.
When I first heard the news last night I started to cry, partly because I'll miss him, partly because I'm so happy for him. Reading the quote about his wife brought tears to my eyes again. I'm sure she was jumping up and down with joy to see him again. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. He was "my prophet," too. :)
~Amy
Well said. Such a great man and example. We had Elder Bednar come to our Stake Conf last fall. He mentioned specifically to pay extra close attention to what Pres. Hinckley said at Conference. Now I know why.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Last night I was thinking what I could post on my blog, but I think I'll just create a link to yours. I'm so glad he's with his sweetheart again, but I will miss his funny little comments during April's conference.
I absolutely love when he talked about his wife. They both always has smiles on their faces. I wish someone could say that about me. I have a long way to go! Great post Brenda, I'm not going to lie. There were tears.
Lovely words Brenda. What a blessing for us to know that we will once again have another great man to reside over us. HOW BLESSED WE ARE..........
Here's a cute poem Monique emailed to me.
Prophetic Passing
I imagine he's running to Marjorie now,
Yes, running, not waving his cane.
I see him embracing his father and mother
While they keep repeating his name.
I see him now meeting his forebears,
Brother Brigham and Joseph are there.
Sweet reunion of prophets, united by service
That only such noble men share.
I see him embraced by the Savior
While Father says, "Good and well done.
So faithful in stalwart endurance, I welcome
My noble, most excellent son."
I then hear the ripples of laughter
As he says the reception's just fine,
But he hopes that he'll get an assignment or two
Since there's no need to waste any time.
I can hear his clear voice in the stillness
At the close of this sweet Sabbath day,
Have faith and move forward — there's work to be done.
President Hinckley would want it that way.
Anna M. Molgard
January 27, 2008
LOVE it! We had a FHE last night and wrote in our journals our feelings about this amazing man. I am so happy for him and where he is...but the selfish part of me really misses him. I think we are going to go to his viewing. Hope I can keep it together!
Thanks. You said it perfectly.
Loved the picture that you changed to. I am actually excited to watch his funeral Saturday. Is that sick/wrong? Thanks for sharing your feelings. I know Pres. Monson is going to be wonderful as well. I find great comfort in that. I feel like I know him already and look forward to his guidance.
What a sweet post Brenda. You explained him perfectly. My sister-in-law and I were talking and saying how he was "our prophet". He was prophet through the years where our little testimonies were starting to grow and he was such a strong influence in our lives. I love the quote about his wife, it doesn't get much better than that!
Post a Comment