Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My First Time...

to feel an earthquake. A real life earthquake. I've been dreading this day for 2 years, 6 months and 23 days. Two hours ago, we were hit by a 5.8 beauty. It only lasted about 30 seconds, but long enough to have me unnerved. It feels a lot longer than that people!!! The whole house was shaking, no more than that, it was rocking, rumbling, shuttering, trembling, you name it. It was, to say the least, unsettling. My insides were mush for a half an hour. Nothing major to report in the way of damages. Things fell off shelves and I still need to check for cracked windows. I could actually hear them rattling and crackling in their frames. Freaky. Preston and Carson were in their room on the top bunk bed. Preston said he felt like he was going to fall off. Yeah, no kidding. The kids weren't upset by it at all. Pres had a great analogy later, though. He said it felt like his room was on a train. That's pretty true, just multiply that by 10.

*Update* They downgraded the size to a 5.4. It was originally reported as a 5.6 then UPGRADED to a 5.8, then downgraded to a 5.4. That doesn't fly with me. You don't UPGRADE me and then downgrade me. So I'm still calling it a 5.8. After all, it was RIGHT UNDERNEATH ME!!!!

It took me 1 1/2 hours to get a hold of Trevor. He wasn't panicked or anything, but he knew I'd be upset. It seemed like we talked to everyone but each other. He didn't even know the epicenter was 2 miles from our house until Courtney told him. Then the emails started. I copied them here for posterity's sake.

Trevor: I can’t get through the phone lines. PLEASE let me know you’re okay. I’m having Vance send Cindy over there to check on you.

Brenda: Just got your email. I really REALLY didn't like that. Grr. I'm turning on the air to cool down. I need it in more ways than one! Carson didn't freak about going to swim today. It was the first day I didn't have to put him in the water by force. :)

I love you and I don't ever want to do the earthquake thing again.

Bren

Trevor: Okay, I’ll make sure there are no more earthquakes. How did the kids handle it? What were you doing at the time? Did anything break? Is the T.V. okay?

Brenda: The kids were fine. I didn't freak out, (okay, I did, but I kept it to myself) so they didn't get upset at all. The kids were in their room, playing on the top bunk, Preston said he felt like he was going to fall off. I was in our room folding laundry on our bed and Abby was with me. It took me about 5 seconds to figure out what was going on. Then I kept thinking to myself, "Why isn't it stopping, why isn't it stopping?!" I didn't expect it to last that long and it felt like it was getting stronger. I got off the bed and picked up Abby and went to get the boys, but by the time I got to the hallway, it was over. I called to them and asked if they were okay. Preston came out and said they were. I paced around upstairs, holding Abby, shaking. I didn't really know what to do next. I wasn't crying or upset or anything, just shaking inside. The boys just kept on playing. I turned on the T.V. in our room and started trying to call you. Then I thought I should see if there was any damage downstairs. I grabbed my cell phone on the way down and kept trying to call you. I got through on the third try and was in the process of telling you we were okay, when we felt the first aftershock. That didn't help my nerves. I started calling my mom and it took several tries to get through and she wasn't even home. Then I called Heather, again several tries, and it went straight to her voicemail. I was on my 5th try at Becky's when Courtney got through to my cell. I talked to her for a few minutes, then your mom got through on the house phone. Cindy came by next, and by the time we had to leave for swim lessons I had talked to Ashley, Chelsea, Gina, your dad, Becky, and my mom. It felt like everyone but YOU! My dad called when I got home. While Cindy was over, we were asking the boys about it. Preston said it felt like his room was in a train. I thought that was pretty cute. I can't get the noise out of my head. Hearing the earth actually move. Not just the window rattling but hearing the earth move under you. That was the worst part. I'm with Cory, I'd rather be in a tornado.

When are you coming home? And what do you want for dinner?

I love you,

Bren

P.S. Robbie sent me a text, "you are now baptized a member of California". I replied "thanks, but I would have preferred to remain a non member. Cory called and asked, "What's shakin'?". Hilarious. He cracked himself up over that one. Conner's coming over tomorrow. Oh, and your TV is fine. Only the antiques fell off the shelves. I'm glad we were upstairs:)

15 comments:

Louise said...

I don't get it, am I missing something here? Did an earthquake hit as you were posting, or what?
P.S. Glad you're ok!!

Unknown said...

Brenda- I am glad you guys are ok. I just heard that your place was the Epicenter. I felt a few growing up and, trustme, you never get used to it. Its neve ok to feel the earth rolling underneath your feet. Funny that I was the only one to feel the earthquake that hit Nevada a few months ago...

CaraDee said...

Hey you, sorry you were so scared. Hope you are much calmer now...

Brooke said...

I would seriously be packing my crap up and moving away! I don't know what the heck I am going to do when it "hits here!" I am such a worrier. Glad you are all ok. I guess I better turn on the news. xoxo

Joneel said...

It's no fun huh? I think I could stand the shaking and rolling if I had an indestructable house, and the water pipes wouldn't break, and we wouldn't have mass chaos, etc. etc. = )

Holly said...

Yikes!! So glad it wasn't bigger and the kids enjoyed it. Thats my kind of earthquake. Be safe...love you!

Shannon said...

Scary! Glad it wasn't a big one. My kids would have completely freaked out. I think all the tornado warnings ruined them. The only earthquakes I have experienced were when I was a kid and Mt. St. Helens blew. I can still see the lamps shaking.

Devri said...

Oh my word!!! I am so sorry, and that is big to me... I am glad you are ok, that is my biggist fear in life, being away from your kids when disaster happens, glad you were all in your house together!!!!

Misty said...

That is crazy. I am glad that everyone and everthing is okay. It is probably a good reminder to brush up on earthquake precautions, if you haven't already.

Steve said...

Only man would ask how is family is doing than his TV. Too funny!
This is Liz not Steve by the way.

Louise said...

I need to explain my weird comment at the top of the page. Apparently Brenda started the blog with the title- then got interrupted. I jumped on the site and only saw the title, thus the confusion on my part-actually, I get confused easily these days! Hang in there Brenda, I hope the "rattled nerves" will calm down soon!

Anonymous said...

Come on Brenda... I thought you said that Trev always makes the earth move for you....

hahaha.

Ashly said...

Are you ready to come back to the promised land? Seriously though, that had to be the worst feeling. Glad you are all ok.

THE GARN FAMILY said...

Well, I missed the whole thing. We were at a movie at the mall and somehow we didn't feel a thing. Or maybe it was because I was dealing with 3 kids and that always feels a little like an earthquake, right?
Cute pics of all your kids cousins...how fun!

Becky Noftle said...

Is the T.V. o.k.??? Trust me Trevor if you would have asked me that you would have come home to a hammer in that thing!