Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What Would You Take?

So I have to write a bit about the fires last week (and this week too). Partly, because it needs to be documented as part of our family history and partly because Trevor's sister, Chelsea, said I had to. She's so bossy:)

Saturday night the fires got within a few miles of us. Neighborhoods all around us were being evacuated. We never felt any immediate danger, we're in a pretty protected area, after all. Having said that, we thought we should be somewhat prepared, if we were to be awakened in the middle of the night and told to leave.

So, Trev and I sat down and thought about it. What couldn't we live without? If we had, say, a half an hour, fifteen minutes or even five, what would we want to load up? We have two vans that could possibly fit a lot, if we had the time. In this house, filled with 10 years of collected junk, this is the small list we compiled, room by room, of our greatest treasures (besides the kids and our own lives). Keep in mind, this is if we had a half hour to pack.

The Office (7 minutes)

~All the vital paperwork (which surprisingly has always been stored in an uncharacteristically organized manner). Including Birth Certs., Wedding Cert., Social Security Cards and our Taxes from the last few years. Sounds like a lot, but it's the easiest thing on my list.
~All our past photos that are on Cd's. Amazingly organized as well.
~Computer tower, for all the pictures I've been to lazy to back up. Heaven help me if this computer crashes.
~Journals (in the bookcase collecting dust)
~Trevor's Mission Scrapbook
~My Camera*
~Address Book*

Front Room (5 minutes)
~Photo albums
~Wedding video
~DVDs*

Kitchen (less than a minute)
~Prescription Meds

Front Hall (less than a minute)
~Purse/Wallet/I.D.

Family Room (more time than we'll ever have, but it was on Trevor's list-definitely the first things to be chucked off the list)
~XBOX*
~T.V.*

Master Bedroom (5 minutes)
~Cell phones/Phone chargers*
~Wedding Albums
~Temple Bags*
~Trevor's money clip
~Shoes*

Boys Room (2 minutes)
~Blessing Outfits*
~Shoes*

Abby's Room (2 minutes)
~Blessing Dress*
~Shoes*

Hallway (Less than a minute)
~Baby Albums

Garage (5 minutes)
~Dog Food
~Boxes to put all previous mentioned items in.

And all the clothes we can pack before our time is up. You may have noticed the asterisks. Those would be the items we would have to sacrifice if we didn't have the time. Of course, it would all have to be sacrificed if there were only time to save ourselves, which, in the case of many here in Southern California, was their experience. I can't imagine losing everything. It was interesting to see what really mattered to us. I would have expected to say how funny it was that things like T.V. and video games didn't matter. Guess they do in our house, but they're at least at the bottom of the list.

8 comments:

The Fear Fam said...

This is one of my greatest fears. I am always paranoid that our 72 hour kits aren't enough, that I wouldn't have enough to clothe and feed the kids for a sustained period of time, much less grab anything else that we want. I think it's a great idea that you guys made a list. We've practiced the whole "it's an emergency, grab your 72 hr kit" thing with the kids during FHE... now I'm feeling like we need to do it again, just in case.

Anyway, enough of my rambling comment. I'm so glad the fires didn't reach you guys.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Brenda,
How scary! I was just envisioning you having to run around and gather your precious things. It did really bring a tear to my eyes. It would be so sad to lose many of the 'things' you listed, but yes, you, Trevor, Preston, Carter, and Abby come first always! Love you guys. Stay safe.

The Cardenas Clan said...

What a well thought out entry. I have no clue what I would take. Your list looks about right!

Heidi said...

I'm glad you guys were safe from the fires. Kyle and I were just talking about what we would take in 5 minutes after watching a lady on the news say she only had 5 minutes to get out. So sad and scary.

Shannon said...

What a great idea. I think if I only had 5 minutes or even 15, I would panic and not remember anything I needed. Except diapers.

Granny DeeAnn said...

I'm surprised Becky would let Carter come when the fires are so bad!! You better pick up Carson on the way out too....... :o) (remember I'm OLD........)

Brenda said...

Aunt DeeAnn you crack me up. Don't feel bad, I do the same thing and Carter is no where near me and Carson is my own son.

Christine said...

I'm Baaaack. -Finally. Great idea to plan all that-we need to do that. I love the pictures you took of the baby, and I love the pictures of your kids. You are so good. Also, how fun that you went to Madonna! That is so crazy to think about her age!