I was asked to speak next Sunday. I swear I did it a few months ago but I was reassured it's been 18 months or so. Here's the problem. The talk is on "Christ was sent to be the Redeemer of the world" or something to that effect and I need to make it Christmasy. That's not the problem. I can write the talk just fine. But there is no way I'm going to be able to do it without sounding like a blubbering idiot. I would much rather print out a copy of the talk for everyone in the congregation and have them read it to themselves silently for 10-15 minutes and be done with it. And I'm also the final speaker of the meeting. So in summery, I have to talk about my Savior and the greatest gift He has given me, tying it all together with a Christmas theme (which makes me start to cry just thinking about it) and be eloquent and poignant enough to leave everyone inspired for next few days until Christmas. Pressure much? To top it all off, I was inspired to write about my Grandma Bishop (who, if we were Catholic, would totally be a saint). Anywho, I was reminiscing about her and Christmas and all the wonderful times we had with her. Yes. I cried. A lot. So, I wanted to write down one of the many Christmas memories I have of Grandma. First, a warning to all my readers who knew Grandma, it may make you cry. Then again, it could just be me.
Grandma loved to shop. And when I say "loved to shop" I mean she was dead serious about the business. Do you all remember how she used to bring two pairs of shoes so she could change them half way through the day so her feet wouldn't hurt? The lady was a pro. I believe she truly enjoyed shopping for all her 23 grandchildren. There was always something handpicked by her for us to open on Christmas. Without fail. The Christmas I was remembering was in 1994.
Many of you remember that, after several months of being very sick to her stomach, Grandma was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. This was three weeks before Christmas. She had been too sick to shop, so instead she decided to give us all money. Here's what touched me, though. She hated the thought of us not having a present to unwrap so much that she called her Mary-Kay consultant and ordered a bottle of lotion for all of us. I think all the boys got pocket knives or something. Here our sweet Grandma was dying and she was worried about us not having a gift from her to open. She was always so selfless. 18 days later she passed. It's hard for me to think that it's been 16 years since then. I miss her so much.
Just the other day, I got a Christmas card from her sister, my great aunt, Eloise. It made me cry that I wasn't sending and receiving cards from Grandma. She would have loved getting all those cards from us.
Anyway, sorry about this little trip down memory lane. I just miss my Grandma and wanted to share a little bit about her. I must get back to preparing my talk. If anyone has any great ideas, PLEASE let me know. If anyone wants to give the talk for me, I'm willing to pay...
13 comments:
Oh what a sweet post Brenda. I never knew she took two pairs of shoes shopping. That is dedication to your feet! I just ran across a picture of her in our stake history book and just seeing her made me smile. She is so lovely, sweet, caring, thoughtful, selfless... (should I go on?) and there is no way you wont cry in your talk. In your prayers, just ask that you don't have the 'ugly cry' and that people can still understand what you're saying.
I've been thinking about a post for Grandpa for months. Why have I waited? I'm doing it now.
I have to talk this Sunday too, here's an offer for you...
You write the talk, I'll give it in my Ward and either video tape it or ,if you send over a ticket, fly in and give it again in your Ward.
I'm sure you will have everyone's attention if you share that story though. Good Luck.
Has is really been 16 years? I know we all think about her a lot. Still to this day I will think of something I want to tell her... and then remember I can't.
Good luck on your talk - you will do great!
Brenda,
im sure you will do fine (let me rephrase that) i know you will be great with your speech. When your giving it, tell it though your heart and look in the audience like your grandma is sitting there watching you and seeing how proud she is of her granddughter, wife and mother you have become in the last 16 yrs. Your a special lady and the speech will be great. you made me think of my grandma and made me cry(a good cry). always remember her and tell your kids about her. I always tell my girls of the wonderful lady who made me who i am today and i share my memories and her picture with them. the mind is a great thing!!!!!!
love ya
Shelley
What a wonderful memory of your grandma. I am sure she will be there with you to help give the talk. And it is ok to cry. I have decided that if I start the talk out crying I can get some of the tears out and then everything dries up enough to finish the talk. If it makes you feel better I am playing my cello for our sacrament meeting, which I haven't done more than 2 times since graduation!
Brenda...thanks for making me cry..and I JUST did my make up for the day!! I miss Grandma soo much too...truly was the most amazing person in the WORLD! You will do great Sunday...good luck...we'll be rooting for you. SOOO almost time to come to Utah!! Hooray!!
Thanks Brenda, (I'm supposed to be packing for WA and now I'm crying!)
Your Grandma was perfect and I mean it. She even like me. No, she loved me and my kids. It was a privilege to know her. I just don't know where the last 16 years have gone. Your talk will be fine, cause someone is watching over you. Fill those shoes girl! :o)
Yah, thanks alot Brenda. Crying with a head cold is not fun! Seriously tho, you will do great. Grandma's greatest treasures were her grandkids, I know she is pleased with you. I'll talk to you tomorrow to see how it went. Love you
how did it go?????? mine is over thank goodness!! but yours is today??
grandma bishop sure sounded wonderful, wish i could have met her anyway!! see ya in jan
Grandma died in 1995, the year I had Jackson. I remember I told her on the phone the day she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She was the first person I told except for Michael. We didn't tell everyone else until Christmas, but I was so afraid that I wouldn't get to tell her this myself so I spilled the beans early. I know your talk will be just fine, talking has always been a talent of yours!!! Anyhow, not quite 16 years more like 14 years this January, Man it doesn't seem like I could possibly have lived 14 years without her cheering me on, man I miss her....
Thinking of you and hoping it all went well.
So how did the talk go?
Brenda,
For the record your talk was awesome. It brought such a great spirt to our meeting, and reading your blog this morning only brought that wonderful feeling back. I would never have guessed that you didn't like to speak in public. You are such an incredible addtion to our ward. You must have inherited your grandmothers love and servece gene, I have observed it in action in our ward since you have lived here. I remember Janet mentioning that Trevor married a wonderful girl. That was an understatement. Since you would not have a clue who "Regular Grandma" is, I will sign my name.
Love to you
Marlene
Post a Comment