Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bed Rest Is Boring

So this is the story about all the drama of the last 6 days, as promised. Many of you already know this story, so bear with me or just stop reading. It's your call.

Thursday had been a tad stressful. Trevor had been gone all week and my nerves were as raw as a Cadbury egg. I had received a call from the school and long story short, Preston's teacher tried to pull an illegal maneuver and have him sent home from school when he hadn't done anything wrong and wasn't sick. Sorry, no details, it's a personal issue. At any rate, we've been going the rounds with this teacher all year and this was the last straw. We contacted the principal and vice principal informing them that he wouldn't be at school on Friday and when he returned on Tuesday he would be in a new classroom.

Friday started out normal and more optimistic than the previous day. Trevor had returned from the a fore mentioned business trip Thursday night, a day earlier than expected, so all was blissful in the land of Miles. Preston, of course, wasn't to attend school that day, so he and Abby accompanied me in dropping of Carson at preschool. As I was signing him in, that dread warm feeling started happening in my unmentionables. I was bleeding, and not just a little bit. I rushed to the car and called Trevor on my way home. He tried to calm me down (tried being the operative word here) and set off to inform his superiors that he would be rushing to my aide.

When I got home, I rushed upstairs to see the extent of the bleeding. Sorry to be graphic, but I was soaked in my own blood. I changed unmentionables and put an extra super absorbent pad on. My mother-in-law, who always has Fridays off (do you see how watched over I was?) was on her way to watch Abby and Preston. Within 45 minutes, my pad (sorry about the graphics again) was saturated. All of it. Soaked. This is where I started coming to terms with the loss of the baby. In between all this, I had talked to my mom (who's response was "Dammit") and was keeping her updated with a play by play to reiterate to my sisters.

I then drove myself to the doctor and met Trevor there. We were seen by the advice nurse who, by the way, doesn't have a lot of advice to give. The on-call doctor ordered an ultrasound without seeing me. By this time, I'm on my third, and last pad.

The ultrasound wasn't for another 2 hours, so we decided to grab a bite to eat and stock up on my depleted stock of feminine products.

One o'clock finally rolled around and the ultrasound commenced. The monitor was positioned so that I couldn't see it, so I was relying heavily on Trevor's facial reactions. The tech started and the room was dead silent. I was still watching Trevor, with his head in his hands, trying to see if he sees anything on the screen. No response and the tech is still silent. This little routine goes on for several minutes and the pit in my stomach is getting deeper and deeper. Finally, Trevor had enough of the prenatal suspense and asked the tech if the baby was still in there. "Ah, ya," was his reply. "Is it still alive?", Trevor retorted. "Oh, yeah. Sorry, the doctor just wanted me to check for the source of the bleeding. I'll show you the baby in a minute." That's when I started to cry. I had totally resigned myself to the fact that the pregnancy was over. I was so relieved and worried at the same time. I just couldn't believe the baby was still there.

The tech was asking me questions about my history and if I had ever had placenta previa. I have not and asked him if that was the problem. He couldn't answer. They can never answer. Trevor tried asking him several "hypothetical" questions, but he was too slick for that. We couldn't get an answer out of him, but he assured us that the radiologist would be out to talk to us in a few minutes.

After more than just a few minutes, the tech came back out and told us we were free to go home. When we asked what the bleeding was caused from, he again couldn't tell us. If we wanted more information, we would have to go back to the advice nurse and get the information from her or the on-call doctor. Frustrating!

We obviously went back to the nurse, where she told us that it was still to early in the pregnancy to be able to see what the cause of the bleeding was. She hinted that it could've been caused by the placenta detaching a bit, but we would never know for sure. We asked about placenta previa and she again told us it was too early to tell. She instructed me to stay down for a few days and I would be fine.

Saturday and Sunday passed without incident. I have to give a HUGE shout out to Cory and Gina and Vance and Cindy who took Preston and Carson all day to give me a break while Trevor was at work on Saturday. They were the bomb.

Monday was another dramatic day. I got an email from my own OB and he wants me on pelvic rest and as much bed rest as possible until my next appointment with him. That is not until Feb. 11. I was crushed. How on earth do you stay down with two boys in school and a high maintenance 2 year old? To top it all off, Trevor was leaving again on business and I was to maintain the fort all week and evidently maintain it in bed. We had no groceries, no toilet paper, and the house was a wreck from a weekend with me out of commission. How the H-E-DOUBLE was I supposed to pull this off? Again, I started with a fresh and violent set of tears, admittedly most of them were when I found out exactly what "pelvic rest" was. Look it up.

That's when several little angels were sent to me.

There were Cindy and Vance again, who took the boys all day long Monday and even brought back T.P.

There was Jessica, who called me in the middle of those fresh, violent tears and told me that all I needed to do was pray. That it didn't matter that my own sisters were far away because I had my ward sisters who would take care of me. That Jessica thinks she knows everything. Turns out she does.

There was Heather, who brought me dinner that night, complete with bags full of groceries and her 10 year old daughter to help pick up the house and do my dishes.

Since Monday, I've had dinner brought to me every night, and another "ward sister" took Abby for a few blessed hours yesterday. Heather kept Carson after preschool today and picked up Preston from school, and my new hero, Chelsea, took Abby off my incapable hands and is keeping her until tomorrow. I'm truly being taken care of. The week has flown by and Trevor is working his patootie off so that he can try to be home tomorrow, instead of Friday.

Hopefully, I'll go into the doctor, in February, and everything will be good to go. I just can't thank everyone enough for taking care of me while I can't take care of myself. I've always had a hard time accepting help and I'm also the first chick to scold a person who's complaining about bed rest and receiving help from others. It's important and not worth the risk I usually say, and I would be perplexed at the whining over it. What I wouldn't give for a few days of bed rest myself! Well, I can empathize now. It's boring, and frankly, a little embarrassing to have meals brought in and sisters-in-law vacuuming for you (thanks again Chelsea) when you feel perfectly fine. But, I'm going to to take my own advice because it's important and not worth the risk.

So, there's the drama for this baby mama. I would apologize for the long post but I'm not sorry. It needed to be this way for information and gratitude's sake.


By the way, Preston loves his new class.

23 comments:

CaraDee said...

Dang Brenda, that almost brought me to tears, except for the fact that you kept the baby. Still, that is scary and I feel for you. Do you remember Jessica Powers? She was on literal bedrest for about 6 months????!!!! I can't even imagine it. Here I am about to fake it to get released from my calling early...ha
Anyway, hope everything works out. I'll be thinking of you!

: : JeSsIca g0nZaLez : : said...

I'm so happy that everybody is there with you and helping your butt!!! I wish I was there with you and ur lil mini-me's :)I know Im a lil far away but IM ALWAYS A PHONE CALL AWAY!!!! We are praying for u guys and I have sheila and her family and oh ya, my mom too!!!! miss u guys!

Tara said...

Brenda,
That is so not fun! I had placenta previa with all of my babies and it sucks. You will be in our prayers.

Tara said...

Brenda,
That is so not fun! I had placenta previa with all of my babies and it sucks. You will be in our prayers.

The Fear Fam said...

I am so glad you & the baby are OK. I'm sorry about the bed rest, though. I know I would have a hard time accepting the help, too. Thank goodness for all the wonderful people who have been helping you!

Brooke said...

Man you leave and go home and look what happens. Hang in there Bren.... Everything is going to work out. xoxo

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! Um...hi Brenda! I don't know whether you remember me--I was a buddy of Trevor's in college? Anyway, he sent me over here to check out pics of the kids (who are GORGEOUS, by the way!) and I'm so sorry to hear you're on bedrest! I had to do that for a month, myself. Hang in there!

- Jen (Read) Hunter

Heather said...

Hang in there sis! Wish I could be there to steal your kiddo's. You know I'd love to have them:) We miss you guys so much. Please stay down- better safe than sorry. Love ya!

Heidi said...

Sheesh!!! That is stressful and scary. Glad all is well with the baby so far and glad Preston's new class is better. Thank goodness for RS and family. We are blessed to have instant helpers around us wherever we go! Hang in there.

Devri said...

Oh Brenda I know your worries..

I am glad to hear she/he is still with you. Take care, I know it is hard to let other people do "it", let them and rest, know that that baby is #1 right now, and the rest will be ok.

Robyn Welcker said...

Hey I hope your doing ok,....Man do you have drama in your life...like you don't already have enough......Your family is in our prayers Brend.... but I know that everything is going to be ok....Please call me if you need anything... antthing at all!..take care....
~robyn

Holly said...

So glad you are hanging in there. I know it's been hard. We are thinking/praying for you constantly! Feb 11th will be here soon..and boy will it feel good to get out! Keep your chin up sis! Love you!

Jyll said...

Sorry, haven't had a chance to check blogs often, but congratulations on the pregnancy and I'm so sorry things are EXTREMELY stressful right now! I know EXACTLY what you're going through. I've been through some stressful pregnancies. I think it's wrong that you don't know anything. Can't they tell you the hb rate or anything? If you want to "talk" I'm just an email or call away!

Unknown said...

I didn't even know you were PG!! Congrats on that first of all.

Secondly, I am SOOO glad that everything is going to be okay! You will be in my prayers.

I love you!!

Christine said...

I actually ran into Holly right before you guys came to Utah. I know how hard it is to fit everyone in!
I'm so glad that everything is ok, and that the baby is ok. Are you on bedrest until the end? I'm so glad that you have such good friends there to take such good care of you.

Steve said...

I am so sorry!
I am glad baby is ok, I wish that you lived closer to your sisters so that they could help you because I am sure that would be a little easier.
Liz

Becky Noftle said...

I'm pretending to vacuum your house right now, this is after I pretended to make dinner for your family and cookies with the three kiddos looking at me adoringly (they love me you see), after that I will pretend to do all your laundry and tuck your babies into bed while giving you foot rubs and intellectually conversation peppered with my witty asides.

Becky Noftle said...

intellectually conversation--ya I guess no INTELLECTUAL conversation is upcoming.

melanie said...

What I didn't comment? I'm losing it!

I hope you're making it. How hard! If only the other kids would be perfect. Hopefully they've been a close second. Thank heavens for our second families. Thinking of you!

Unknown said...

Well- dont I feel sheepish now. Here i have been so behind on my blog reading that I didnt even know you were prego and then I find out about this. I wish, as many others do I am sure, that I was closer so i could pamper you. Sounds like you are well taken care of out there.

thomalee said...

Wow! I haven't looked at your blog for a few weeks and it looks like I've really been missing out! Congratulations on the pregnancy :) and sorry things have been so nerve wracking...I'm glad you have lots of good friends and family to help out and I hope everything looks up really soon!

The Monson Crew said...

I am sorry as well all that you have had to go through especially with Trevor being gone on work trips.

I was very happy to help. I wish I could do more!!!! Please don't ever hesitate to call.

Love you!
Chels

The Brunson Family said...

I had that with my first set of twins and I laid still as still from 12 to 20 weeks and then my it pulled away as I got bigger no fun. I can't imagine bedrest with kids though.