Monday, June 1, 2009

Party, Party People

I owed the world a few more birthday pictures of my boy.


~He got a bike. It was defective. We took it back. He now has a new bike.~

Trevor and I have a deal with our kids (that I think I stole from Becky). They get to have "friend" birthday parties when they are starting kindergarten, turn 8, 12, and 16. Well, Preston's 8. We started planning the friend party but it felt so wrong to not have family there. So, we did both. I don't know why I make things harder for myself.

~Part of the family.~

On his actual birthday, we had the family party. It was so much fun and so laid back. We BBQ'd, had some cake with trick candles that didn't work (who needs to read directions on candles anyway) and then coerced all the cousins to have a sleep over.

~Still kicking at 10:00pm~

The boys had so much fun having an all nighter with their cousins. They went to bed at 10:30am and were bright-eyed at 6:30am. They all did great and there were minimal arguments and zero meltdowns. I did send Jakey back home in a less than perfect state, though. Five minutes after all the adults left he fell and hit his head on the corner of the coffee table. I'm sure you all know how head wounds bleed. He was a tough little dude though and only cried from the initial fall. By the time, I got him into the kitchen (lying to him that it was no big deal) he had stopped. We even had him laughing while we were cleaning up all the blood (whew, no need for stitches). Trevor and I are good under pressure:)

~It's amazing how many kids you can fit on a hide-a-bed isn't it?~

The next morning I got them all good and sugared up with donuts. They spent the majority of the day on the trampoline burning off all the calories.

Preston's friend party was last Friday. We had a few school friends and all the boys from his primary class at a park and played some well inspired baseball games. Trevor and I even filled 92 water balloons to ensure adequate entertainment. I'm pretty put out with the pinata, though. It only lasted through 5 kids and we were only letting them hit it a few times each. I got a picture of 3 of the kids taking a whack at it. The two I missed were Preston and Carson. Nice one mom.

~Party People~

~Water Balloon toss that turned into a water balloon fight. It was probably the plan all along.~

~Hot potato water balloon style. I'm sure you've seen it on T.V. It was pretty rad.~

Still, I think Pres had a good time despite the incompetent pinata. We are so proud of our eight year old. He is such a kind, compassionate boy and we love him to death.

Next up for him, cub scouts. We're taking him to the scout store today to get his shirt, hat, neckerchief, belt, book, patches and anything else they convince me he has to have. I'm sure to be the biggest push over in that store.

4 comments:

CaraDee said...

Just wait till he gets his Bobcat right at the first. It's such a great Mom moment.
Oh, and just go ahead and buy the ringbound book. I was going to go have it done, but isn't your time worth $1 more dollar? ha. And my Mom taught me a trick. Glue gun the patches on. I was surprised, given that my mom sews a lot. But it works.

Becky Noftle said...

don't even try to sew the patches on--you'll end up swearing so much that you have to go to hell---so not worth it. Better to use a hot glue gun and go to heaven I always say. Also buy the dumb--I mean awesome cub shirt at D.I. other wise with the neckerchief, slide, book, shirt, and troop patches it will cost over $50 big ones.

Heather said...

Looks fun- wish we could've been part of the sleepover :) Tyson slept over last night- and they were up EARLY- hence the reason I'm blogging at the crack of dawn! Can't wait to see you guys.

Kerry said...

Rex loved the water balloon hot potato thing, He kept trying to explain it to me and i kept saying i have no idea what you are talking about!