Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Eve Eve, Eve, and Day

Strap yourselves in, it's going to be a long drive...

The eve of Christmas Eve (is that such a thing? Should I make it a holiday?) The kids and I drove (well, I drove, the kids sat in the back of the mini-van watching Mater's Tall Tales) up to Newhall to visit Matt and Courtney and the girls. I was spectacular to visit them (once Matt stopped being bratty-right Courtney?) and I just love the way Abby and Adalynn can just step right back in where they left off. Even if it's been 5 months since they've seen each other. Two minutes after we got there I peeked around the corner at them and found them brushing each other's hair. I also took a couple of pictures of the Schienle brood. We kept it short and sweet. After loading our car with Christmas presents and 3 bags of hand-me-down clothes (I so scored) we started the one hour trip home. Two hours later we actually got there. It wasn't too bad. I took the long way to avoid traffic and was able to keep the van going in a forward motion the whole way. As long as I am moving, it doesn't feel that terrible. Plus, the kids slept. It's like two hours of peaceful bliss and the ability to listen to talk radio without having to mentally block out all the noise behind me. But I digress (as I always do).




Christmas Eve was the longest day of Preston and Carson's life. I can vividly remember that as a little girl. It...crawled...by...ex...cru...ci...at...ing...ly...slow. Luckily, we went to Mimi and Papa's to help speed it up a bit. That was after they opened their token Christmas Eve gift, JAMMIES! Every time baby. It's going to get old in a couple of years, I'm sure. Carson kept asking me if he could open his awesomest present first. I said no, you have to open the lame one. Hey, I didn't lie.

There I go digressing again. So we went to Mimi's for soups and games (and even baby Jillian came). The Miles' have a tradition that everyone brings a $5 gift and we sit in a big circle while Papa reads "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Every time he reads the word "the" we pass the gift to the left. After "The end", we open whatever gift is in front of us. I made out with $5...in pennies. Cory thinks he's pretty funny. At any rate, it's fun and a tradition, and I love traditions.



Christmas morning was what it should be. Me, lying awake in bed, willing the kids to get up so we can see if Santa came or not. He did. And it was awesome. There were so many princesses and weird fushigi balls (I still don't get the fascination) that it took a while to get to the presents. Now, I am NOT complaining. But I hate...no, I dislike it when Trevor doesn't stick to our budget for each other and spends 3 times the amount on me as I do on him. I feel like a jerk. A cheap jerk. He got a few shirts. So did I. And I got a Sony Bloggie. I do love being spoiled. Feel free to click on the collages to make them bigger or scroll pass them altogether. I was trying to conserve space



Then the moment that I had been anticipating for a week, in both excitement and apprehension, we brought out the snake. As much as I hate that snake and am so creeped out that we share the same roof, I couldn't wait for their reaction. They were going to love me. They were going to run up and down the street declaring that there was a clear winner for mother of the year and I was it. They were going to shower me with kisses and looks of pure adoration and I was going to see, in their eyes, how lucky they really felt to have me as their mom.



Instead, they laughed and giggled and Carson (leave it to Carson) yells out, while pointing at me, "HAHA! MOM! I TOLD YOU WE COULD GET ONE!". And you are very welcome son.

Trevor had timed it so that we would be able to feed the thing that morning. Icing on the cake he called it. I called it my cue to clean up the living room until it was over. We have a few rules when it comes to Sniper (that's the things name). One, I will have nothing, NOTHING to do with it. I will not feed it, change it's water, wet it's moss or even defrost (especially not defrost) it's baby mouse entree. Two, they will not take it out of it's cage (that I insisted come with a padlock) unless Daddy is home and supervising. Three, the second they tease me with it, i.e. hold it close to me, put it on my shoulder...*shudder*...or anything along those lines, it will be sold and I will buy a pair of shoes with the profits and walk around saying "Look at my cute shoes that I bought with your dumb snake. Bet you wish you hadn't of teased me with it, huh?" Any bets on how long it takes them to break one of the rules?

Dinner was at Mimi and Papa's again and it didn't disappoint. I really love traditions when it involves Janet's Chicken Cordon Bleu. Freaking amazing. We exchanged gifts and watched "Despicable Me". And that was it. Christmas was over and the boys are depressed. "It just takes too long to get here" Preston whined. I can totally relate. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May all your wishes and dreams come true. Unless, your dreams are that your new pet snake breaks through the padlock on it's cage, then I hope your dreams (or mine in this case) don't come true.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Merry Christmas, Brenda! Our girls call Dec. 23rd Christmas Adam. Clever little things, aren't they? Maybe you could adopt that name for it?

Megan said...

Love the bit about the snake! You are mom of the year since it creeps you out so much and you still agreed to it for your boys! I'm proud of you, and if you end up with some new shoes - I'll send our iguana your way and they can try again with a slightly less creepy version of a "pet". :)

Katie said...

cute post! We had a fushigi delivered by Santa here too...crazy. Gotta love infomercials!

Happy New Year :)

Suzanne said...

Your braver than me getting the snake. What would freak me out even more, is what you have to feed them. Happy Christmas Miles family. Xxx