~Poor pathetic little Lexi.~ We had a string of bad luck last week. On Thursday, as I was commuting back to our house from dance and piano lessons, and taking the back dairy roads to avoid the rush hour traffic on the freeway, something flew up and hit my transmission. Of course, it would happen me. These things don't happen to other people. Just me. And on top of that I was toting a whole crock pot full of chili on the floor of the front seat. Before my little transmission incident a stray dog jumped out in front of me and as I slammed on my breaks to not hit it, the chili tipped and poured all over and my cell phone went flying into the puddle of beautiful White Chicken Chili. I shouted that I should have just hit the "damn dog", pulled over to wipe it all up and continued on my way home, which ended with breaking down. But that's not the real story here.
On Friday morning, I took Trevor to work (because my sweet little van was obviously out of commission) then ran 3/4 of my kids to Mimi's and drove Carson to the Doctor. All was well up to this point. After the pointless Dr. visit, I picked up the rest of the kiddies and their father from work, and drove through Chick-fil-a for lunch. That really isn't the story either, but I love Chick-fil-a and will find any reason to talk about it. By the way, they were giving out free sandwiches so I fed my family of six for less than $4. We splurged and let them eat ice cream first. Plus, I got another free sandwich on my receipt. I love Chick-fil-a.
Anyway, Trevor dropped us off at home and headed back to work. All was still well. We got into the house and started in on lunch when we heard the doggies scratching at the back door. I was not surprised that they wanted in after being outside all morning. Not to mention that they miss us terribly when we're away longer than 15 minutes. I ordered Carson to open the back door. This is when "all" was no longer "well". Carson let in the doggies and immediately noticed blood on Lexi. I put her in the sink, hosed her down and saw the biggest bite mark on her back. After I got her somewhat cleaned off, wrapped in a towel and on Preston's lap on the couch, I went to investigate outside. Sure enough, there was a gaping hole in the fence to our neighbor's yard. They have a huge Rottweiler that is constantly breaking through. The fence is old but you don't see my dogs breaking planks, possibly because they are only around 14 lbs. but whatever. Here's the only funny part of the story (and the inspiration for this post's title). When I came back inside from taking pictures/video of the fence, I sat down by Preston to check on Lexi. Preston was visibly upset and, with tears in his eyes, said to me, "I just want to kill that damn dog"! Oh how I wanted to laugh out hysterically! I couldn't though. He was so upset and I would have looked like such a callous witch! So instead I told him that I understood that he was angry and upset but that he shouldn't swear. His reply was classic, "Mom, sometimes there's a time to swear". Such logic in a time of crisis I tell you! This is our golden boy too! I never thought I'd hear a bad word from his mouth ever!
I went next door and told the neighbor and he was very apologetic. That attitude has since taken an abrupt 180 degree turn. His wife is less than apologetic. She is, shall we say, feisty. And not in a good way. It's getting a bit ugly, actually. My main concern is getting the fence fixed in a way that the 130 pound Rottweiler stops breaking into my back yard. I would just die if my kids were it's next prey. I'm terrified to send them out now. And when I do, I go with them. Even the dogs get an escort to go potty.
But anyway, a trip to the vet discovered not one, but six punctures wounds. The vet estimated that the other dog got 2-3 good holds on Lexi. She was in so much pain (so was my bank account after that) and basically spent the next 3 days sleeping, with the help of pain killers. She's doing much better now and I hate to admit that we are treating our pups a little more kindly. It's not that we abused them before, but we give them extra love now. I guess we would really miss them if they were gone. It's good to know, because there were definitely times that we wondered.
WARNING! GRAPHIC PICTURES AHEAD...SERIOUSLY BECKY...I'M NOT KIDDING.
The weekend passed uneventful with the exception of a couple altercations with the neighbors over the vet bill. We've decided to let the issue drop for the moment and focus on getting the fence fixed. You can't put a price on safety after all, right?
5 comments:
Here's my advice on the dog thing: the should have homeowners insurance for that....if they are renters, get the money from the owner of the home. And contact the police. When (not if) the dog bites someone/something again, it will be helpful to have this record against the owners. You should also call Animal Control. I am so sorry.. and you probably already did all this.
This makes me so sad. Poor little Lexi. And you really do need to get the other owners to pay up/do something about the fence and/or their dog's behavior. Its not a safe situation for anyone. They just can't be stubborn stinks about it and think it will all be fine. Of all people, you know I'm not against big scary dogs, but I am against irresponsible owners and that's the issue here. And I'm glad you are supervising your babies (both human and K9) outside at all times now, but still, if the dog busts through again the fence again, even if you are out there with them . . . well, it just can't happen. Sorry, that's my 2 cents. You guys are smart and I know its easier said than done, and we aren't right there having to deal with the problem - but the Brenda I know doesn't just back down when things get fiesty! She gets fiesty right back! Good luck, I hope things clear up and get better soon. Give Lexi an extra snuggle from us.
That neighbor should pay the bill for sure! They need to be responsible for what their dog did. Telling the police is a good idea too. I'm getting all worked up for you! Ha! Good luck!!!
Holy crap those are gross! My neighbor's dogs have also bitten holes in our fence and have come over. Luckily, they are nice rotts, but the holes in fences are ridiculous! My dog (Emma) is the one I worry about biting (kinda). But you really do need to call the police about it. Dogs are covered on homeowner's policies and that is horrible.
I've already told you my opinion, basically what the above comments say, grrrrrrr!!@! Glad Lexi is feeling better, those are wicked, scary bites!
Post a Comment