So the next few days after Jackson's diagnoses, we were all feeling low. "All" meaning, me, my sisters, my parents, my nieces, my nephews, my children...ALL of us. Thursday, Holly called me. "Guess where I'm driving tomorrow?" she said. I knew. Washington. Holly's awesome.
I got a little more depressed. Stupid 1150 miles that separate me and my hometown! I called Trevor to pout. I'm good at that. Always have been. He was sympathetic, but busy so he said he'd call me later. 15 minutes later I got an email update on my phone. It was a flight itinerary to Washington! For the next day! I love my husband. Not because he secretly bought me a last minute flight to be with my sister and nephew, but because he knew my heart was aching and wanted to mend it. Serious Xbox points were scored, let me tell you.
After hurriedly arranging childcare (thank you Danielle and Mimi), and attending a Blue and Gold Banquet, I frantically packed and was off!
I won't lie, it was fun to surprise Becky and the kids. Becky knew Holly and her kids were coming but had no idea I was there. I like being on the giving end of those surprises.
That night, Courtney and I got a bee in our bonnets. This happens a lot to both of us. The difference is that when it happens to Courtney, she actually follows through with it. We decided to give Becky a room make-over. She already had bought herself some super cute bedding but hadn't had the time to repaint, hang curtains and generally put it all together. Enter Courtney.
I'm sure Becky, Holly and Mom didn't remember signing up for manual labor on their weekend, but such is life when the baby girls of the family take charge. We wanted to give her a soft place to land, a sanctuary to retreat to in the stressful months ahead. I hope she liked the outcome. I did. I came home and redid my own room. This trip cost Trevor more than he ever could have imagined!
I was also bossy enough to insist on taking pictures of the kids. They know better than to deny my wishes.


~Cougar Man was a stud model. But more excited than anyone else when his turn was over!~


~My sweet Zoe, a kindred 4th child.~


~Sierra...who is all of the sudden old and even more beautiful than before.~


~Baby Anistynn.~


~The lovely Sydney.~
Hanging with my Jackson was especially entertaining. He tapped into his comedic side during the weekend. When Carter wanted Jax to push him around the gym, Jax said, "I can't. I have brain cancer." While I was cutting into the cheesecake, Jackson asked if he could have the 1/4 sized portion I had just cut. When I laughed and rejected him, he said, "But Aunt Brenda, I have brain cancer." I think I heard that phrase at least 4 times.


Goodbyes aren't ever fun and this one was especially hard. Becky and I both teared up in the middle of Target as mom and I got ready to go to the airport (Becky started it). I hate not being there for my sister, and so I'm incredibly grateful that I got to go. And if all else fails, I can look at this little mug and smile.

Jackson starts Chemo today and my thoughts are of them and my heart is so full. I texted him this morning and told him that I love his guts. He said, "That's weird, but understandable". I love that boy.

4 comments:
Thanks for the update! What a trooper Jax is! Sending lots and lots of prayers, hugs, and loves your way.... And your way too Bren;). Xox
Hadn't cried today till I read your post--thanks a lot jerk!! I love you.
That is so cool that you were able to go and so sweet of Trevor. I hope that your nephew is doing ok. Brad and I still joke to this day about Trevor when we were playing games with you guys and he went out and was talking to one of the neighbors and came in and said, "Man, that guys a talker." We still laugh about that.
Thanks so much for the post and especially to Trevor for helping you get here. We loved every minute of that chaotic weekend! Love, love the pictures!
Post a Comment