Monday, October 1, 2007

I Miss Fall

It's my very favorite time of year. I love seeing school supplies at every store. I love the colors of FALL. I love the smells of FALL, apple cider, pumpkin pie and sharpened pencils. Everything is crisp and beautiful. It's such a sweet release from the hot and sticky summer. Anyone who knows me, knows I prefer being cold to hot. I could go into detailed examples of this (the snowed-in cabin trip), but I won't. If I'm not mistaken, it's FALL right now. I wouldn't know since it's 88 degrees today. Now, I'm not complaining (much), but FALL is something I really miss from Washington and Utah. I love freezing my tail off at a football game and love climbing into bed as fast as I can to warm up. San Jose was lovely and very predictable. I liked that it felt like FALL most of the year. Not here in the I.E. though! There is, however, an upside to this. I love FALL, but it seemed to not last very long in Utah. In fact, my beautiful sister Heather (I'm trying to suck up to her so she'll start her own blog-she's the only one I haven't broken yet) emailed me some unbelievable pics Saturday. It snowed there! Hard! In September! I felt guilty today because Preston didn't have any clean shorts, thus had to wear pants to school! But it snowed in Utah! I will say, I only minorly miss snow. I love the temp but hate the precipitation it brings. I've never had a garage until now, so that might play into it my hatred a little bit. I never liked having to scrape my windows, especially if I was in a hurry, which I more often than not, was. The first snow would catch me off guard and I'd end up scraping my windows with a cd case since the handy dandy scraper had been removed from the car during the summer and, since I was always late, didn't have time to search for in the house. If I could have chosen when it fell, (at night while I could watch it with a mug of hot chocolate, wrapped in a blanket, with the kids playing quietly with their wooden trains near the fireplace...what? It could happen.) and how long it lasted (a day, maybe two) I could really like the snow. However, it's too unpredictable and dangerous to drive in (I always worry about Holly driving to work). I recall the weird Octobers in Utah. It was always warmer than it should have been but always snowed before Halloween. How does that make any sense? I can't get over that it snowed in September. September! So, I'm torn. Would I rather be here sweating, or in Utah where it's already snowing? I'll pick here since FALL is bound to come sooner or later. But tell me, is there anywhere that holds on to FALL for more than two weeks? Have fun all you Utahans! I wish I could say I was jealous!
Heather's handsome Harrys.

14 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

You wouldn't rather be in utah or Californina. No Utah because it is SNOWING in September that is obscene. No California because it is HOT is September, and too far away from Boise to meet your sisters and mother for a long weekend. Where you want to be is in Washington. Cool days, Jackets at football games, but not at recess because once you start running around with your friends you get warm enough. Thank you for not going into detail about the snowed in cabin trip---can't let all the crazy out!

Lisa said...

New Mexico has perfect 4 seasons. That is where you will find your fall.

melanie said...

Today is perfect here (sorry I have to brag)! A light breeze, my windows are open with a slight chill in the air, I have been smelling fresh air all day and the sun is shining through it all. I love fall and when I hear it isn't people's favorite season, I think they're weird. Sorry but I do . Good think you're cool though.

Utah must suck! Snow in September should be ILLEGAL!!

Shannon said...

Today it is 90 degrees and sticky out. I miss fall too! I loved it in Utah when the mountains got the fall colors and the air was so crisp. I am with you on the snow though. I think it has snowed twice (more like lightly dusted) in the 6 years we have lived in Texas.

TheShippenFamily said...

I hate Utah weather!! I will trade you hands down. But I did buy Ella an adorable sweater coat. I am still not a cold fan!

Heather said...

So the good thing about snow in September is it doesn't last more than a few hours. It is beautiful today- 66 degrees and the awesome fall colors on the mountains. The boys had a blast in the snow, but thank heavens it didn't last long! Hopefully we'll have a few weeks of fall still. It's my favorite too!

Brenda said...

Just put Halloween decorations up outside. I'm sweating! Melanie, you made me super jealous! Melissa-I have all these cute fall clothes for Abby that I can't put her in, lest she roast!

Jyll said...

Sorry, I have to brag right now because I'm sure I'll be crying for the sunny weather soon. I love fall too and we just traveled over the mountains to my dad's and got to enjoy all the beautiful aspens turning gold and a little snow on the mountain tops. Just gorgeous! Fall's my favorite time of year too.

Anonymous said...

I hate to rub it in-but I think Washington wins the "Fall race". It was a "little" windy and chilly for Jacksons game Saturday, Sunday a "little" too rainy, but today was beautiful. I think the key for me that Fall has a "little" of everything, but not too much of anything. Does that make any sense. I don't want to know if it doesn't!! Mom

Brenda said...

It's nice to know you're not biased Mother!

Trevor said...

All I have to say is that Fall lasts all winter long in California! So, during your cold winters, we'll be enjoying lovely fall weather for 5 months!

Christine said...

I have to say that no matter what the weather is...I'd rather be in California! I love California. The palm trees, the beach, Disneyland.-Everything...okay, everything except the traffic.

Sally said...

Welcome to my pain. Utah sucks! I had to shop in that weather! It rained and snowed and for a brief minute it even hailed on me! I can't wait to visit your warm and blessed state next week. :)

Janet + Craig said...

I think it would stink to be without Fall! I love it too! It was so windy this evening and the leaves are falling, maybe I'll take a picture of it for you! Love your updates girl. We miss you guys. Janet