Sunday, April 6, 2008

Wedding Rings and Awesome Thumbs

I succumbed to peer pressure. There was a request for the "Wedding Ring" story, which isn't all that interesting to be honest. Then Shannon requested a picture of my thumbs, which is a "circus freak show" type of interesting to be sure. We'll start with the lesser...

The Wedding Ring Story:

When I was a student at Royal Middle School (not high school as I was previously accused) I had a thing for wearing mom and dad's jewelry. I would wear Mom's senior key and sometimes Dad's wedding ring on a necklace (not on my circus freak thumbs as previously accused). You see, my dad wasn't always the svelte man he is now, and the ring no longer fit him. I don't remember being disobedient at the time (as I was, again, previously accused). One day, after P.E. I was walking back to the Middle School buildings and realized that the necklace had broken. I had the broken chain, but the ring was no where to be found. I looked all over the grassy area where the necklace had died but couldn't see dad's ring. It was seriously, the sickest feeling ever. In my shame, I never told them what happened. I remember Dad coming home one day with a new ring (one that fit) and teasing me that he had to replace his old one for "some reason". I think I had a sheepish look to my face, but he never got mad at me. If I remember right, he got the new ring at a Salvation Army or some sort of pawn shop. These are some of Dad's favorite places so really, I gave him a reason to shop there. Not that he ever needs a reason to go in there, but still. So that's it in a nutshell. Not that fascinating, really. But at least I set the record straight.

And now, drum roll please, my freaky deaky thumbs......

~Notice how there is little to no space between the knuckle and nail bed~

Yes, I gave them their own mini photo shoot. They deserve it after being subjected to 8 years of thumb sucking. There's another little tidbit for you. You're welcome.


19 comments:

Christine said...

Brenda, I think your thumbs look fine!

Christine said...

PS I saw Mike and Nancy this weekend and said they saw Trevor at Golden Spoon.
Hey, Brad and I are coming to CA in September and want to see you guys. We will be there for vacation so Brad will be free!! YAY!

The Fear Fam said...

From one former thumb-sucker to another, I applaud you on your decision to share your thumb pictures with the rest of the world. They are ... unique! ;o)

And how sweet of your dad not to say anything about the ring! My mom gave me her wedding ring when I turned 21, and part of it broke when I was on a business trip, so I know that sick feeling.

~A

The Monson Crew said...

What a nice Daddy to never say anything and make you feel bad! Thanks for the story.
P.S I like your thumbs Bren, they are you!

The Monson Crew said...

Okay, did that make sense. I guess it's getting late and I should go to bed. I meant it was sweet that he never made you feel bad by not saying anything!

Heidi said...

I agree, that's nice your Dad didn't say anything.

I have an ugly toe (it got caught in the lawn mower when I was 4 yrs old). I used to hide it, but I figure why. Kids always stare at it, oh well...

CaraDee said...

Oh baby, that's rad.

Holly said...

Are you sure thats not your big toe? J/K! My husband has freaky toes and I still love him! You must have caught ad on a good day. I would have gotten in big trouble for sure! That is pretty great he forgave you...I'm not sure I would do the same if my kids lost my ring! Only 4 more weeks!!!

Devri said...

don't worry, feet and hands are disgusting anyway... and I have to cut 120 soon to be 140 of the nails on those ugly digits...uggg!!
I have to be induced tommorow pray for me.... I need it.:}

Jyll said...

Such a sweet story about your dad. And your thumbs don't look freaky! We all have something on our bodies we hate anyway. I could go on and on with mine!!!

Misty said...

I love that you worked the camera with you thumbs. I think they are totally adorable, definitely unique!!!

Ashly said...

I think you thumbs are why we are still friends today!!!!

Shannon said...

What a great story about your Dad.

So, I think your thumbs are cute. Brian was sitting across the room and I laughed when I saw the picture and said something about Brenda posting pictures of her thumbs. He says - those are thumbs?? lol. (He was sitting across the room... and was probably kidding. lol.)

Good photography, btw.

Katie said...

Cool thumbs. Do you get pedicures or manicures on those? I am totally kidding. I think they look fine. I think we're all checking out our own thumbs now to see how toe-ish they are (I think mine are a 6 on a scale of 1-10).

Forget the wedding ring story (although your Dad was awesome about it) - I want to hear about you breaking your mom's neck. What was that about???

Triple A said...

What a great dad. I love all your pics with your new camera. So do you think its the camera or the photographer. I would love to invest in a better camera.

Joneel said...

Hey, I just was reading on a blog, at least I think that is where, about club thumbs. They told the percentage of how many people have them. Darn, now I wish i could recall. Oh well.

Becky Noftle said...

I'm telling Mom and Dad--many in our family won't challenge your incredible memory of minute, inconsequential data but dang it you've gone too far. Too far, your going down little sis!

Brenda said...

Bring it on, Rebecky. Bring. It. On.

The Cardenas Clan said...

It gives you character!!!