Friday, December 26, 2008

Quite Possibly the Longest Post Ever

What can I say? I'm behind big time (but not as big as my behind). I had so many things I wanted to blog about before Christmas, what we did to get ready, the kids Christmas parties at school, not to mention, I still have to discuss Christmas day and all 40 birthday's that have happened in the last 26 days. I guess the best way is to just jump in feet first. Here goes...

I was feeling like a motivated mommy and decided to help the kids make their own ornaments this year. The motivated mommy started and abruptly ended here. I got the idea from our friends across the pond, the Coffey's. She's probably always a motivated mommy. I did find the energy to paint them a week later but I bought washable paint. Some of you probably don't see the problem with that and the rest of you are all rolling your eyes at my rookie mistake. While the paint doesn't stick to clothing or furniture, it also doesn't stick to salt flour dough ornaments. Hours later I bagged it and told the kids we'd finish later with a few more coats of paint. Later hasn't come yet. Pretty sure it won't, either. I'll be better prepared next year.

~Rolling and cutting out the ornaments~


~Painting~We had to glob the paint on to make it remotely stick to the ornament~

We finally broke down and bought a fake tree this year. I've always been a naturalist when it comes to the tree, but the years of cleaning up needles and coming home to a dead, brown, seriously fire hazardous tree have worn me down. Plus, Lowe's was having a 75% off Christmas decor sale 2 weeks BEFORE Christmas. We couldn't NOT buy it right? Right? I bugged and nagged and complained and whined until Trevor agreed to put the lights up outside. The missionaries drove by and decided to log in a few service minutes. Preston loved being on the roof with Dad. Carson attempted the ladder 3 times before we finally got him up there to take a picture.

~The missionaries working while Trev and Pres look on~Carson's brave 30 second roof adventure~

Preston's school party went off without a hitch. We were asked to donate $10 to go towards an energy efficient fridge for his teacher. She's on my naughty list so I defied the request and bought her a $5 gift. I showed her...until the card on the fridge was signed from ALL the parents and students in her class. Now I just look like a suck-up.

Carson's class was super cute! They sang songs (well his classmates did anyway) and he was so excited to give Miss Tami and Miss Heather their gifts. He got shy went the moment arose and finally just handed it to them without making eye contact.

~Carson refusing to sing~Still tight lipped and looking irritated at the "girl" Carsyn~


~Give the kid jingle bells and he comes alive!~

We also had a ward party some where in the midst of all the other chaos. I always love seeing the kids do the Nativity. The next morning the Primary had breakfast with Santa. Preston bounded up to meet The Man With The Bag, plopped himself on Santa's lap and recited everything on his list without missing a beat. Carson hid behind the stroller. He's still scared of the lion mascot at Preston's school and the Chick-fil-a cow so I don' t know why I expected him to warm up to a big guy with a suspicious beard.


~Singing with the Primary~My two shepards front and center~


~The Pro~Preston shocked me by being in the talent show. He and his buddies sang a song from "Polar Express". So dang adorable to hear all those boys singing!~

Santa was giving out a baggie full of candy and the pull of sugar was too much for my little guy. He agreed to meet him only if I held him the whole time. I agreed and the closer we got to him the tighter Carson's grip on me became. When we were one person away he was backing out again so I had to reassure him that I wouldn't let Santa hurt him, hold him or otherwise maim him in anyway. When we reached him, Santa held out his arms for Carson to climb into his lap. He shocked me to my very core and went to Santa. The pictures we got were priceless. They seem to say, "I would rather be having my fingernails peeled off right now" and then progress to, "It's almost over. I'm still not completely comfortable but I have my candy so it's all good". I really was mildly proud of my little wuss.


~Get me the heck out of here~If I hug him, do I get more candy?~


~Bishop bribing kisses out of Abby with chocolate...Trevor does the same thing with me.~

Christmas Eve was a lot of fun with the Miles Clan. We had soups for dinner and a rousing game of pictionary. The girls graciously let the boys win in order to boost their fragile male egos (if you know the Miles boys, you know how NOT true that statement is). They are actually a tad big headed, literally and figuratively. I don't have any pictures of the night. My memory card took a dive and let me tell you about the panic that ensued. Knowing that I wouldn't have any pictures of Christmas morning just about put me over the edge. There were no stores open on Christmas Eve. This Christmas would go down without any photographic evidence. You know I was crushed.

Christmas day brought with it a Christmas miracle. As Trevor was about to bring the kids downstairs to see if Santa came, I tried the camera one more time. No good. Again. No good. A third time. A Christmas miracle! I got these great pictures before the card died again and today I bought a shiny new one.

~Santa totally came!~Checking out their haul~

~Abby inspecting the cradle/stroller/car seat combo~Trevor giving the boys a cork gun lesson...thx Aunt Becky~

As for Santa and other less important gift givers, generosity was the theme. Everyone got more than they asked for. Preston has been building his own light sabers and constructing Lego ships faster than we can keep up. Carson is driving around his "Screaming Banshee" while wearing his Iron Man costume. Abby hasn't let go of her baby stroller and baby doll. When it took a tumble down the stairs, her little heart broke for the much abused baby and she cried until she could hold and comfort her again. Trevor seemed moderately happy with his new "non-work" clothes, while I was more ecstatic over my Jane Austen books and new wall mounted stereo for the kitchen. We finally found a trend in our gift giving. Trevor always buys me electronics and I always present him with clothes. Odd.


~I think she likes it~I think he likes it too~


~Abby adorably feeding her baby~Seconds later. Going to bed at 11:30 and getting up at 4, then at 5 and not going back to bed until 7 and getting up at 7:20 can make a girl a bit temperamental.~

Christmas night was another great one with my in-laws. We had Janet's famous Chicken Cordon Bleu with potatoes to spare! Uncle Vance brought over Rock Band and the wannabes emerged. Kudos to everyone who put themselves out there and made fools of themselves.

~The Miles men watching the Laker/Celtics game...I'm supposed to add that the Lakers won~Wannabes~

~Rock Band Lessons~Carson's reaction to this gift was priceless, I missed the moment though~

~Is it just me or is Preston looking old?~

~We really struggled getting a family picture~Yes. I'm as haggard as I look.~

Two late nights in a row have taken their toll. It's 10:30pm and Abby and Carson have been lying in bed, crying for the last hour. So much for Mommy time. I'm afraid the gazillion December birthday's will have to wait for a couple of days. But I'd be the worst daughter ever if I didn't send a shout out to my Daddy who turned 58 today! I love you and I'll see you soon old man!

7 comments:

Louise said...

I'm sitting here with a smile on my face- loved the post and especially the "Christmas Miracle" pictures. Thanks for sharing again, see you in a few!

Holly said...

Great post, as always Bren! The kids look like they got hooked up and loved it all! Success!! You don't look haggard by the way...you guys look great, just a tired little girl! Can't wait for 5 more days!! Drive safe!

Heidi said...

Fun times. Good pictures of all your fun activities. Kate got that same stroller set from my Mom. I'm glad she liked it.

Misty said...

It's been so much fun catching up on your posts. It sounds like you guys have had a wonderful few months. Your kids are so grown up and what adorable pictures. Merry Christmas!

Suzanne said...

Looks like fun was had by everyone and that Santa was good too. I love the family picture, you all look great. Happy Christmas.

Granny DeeAnn said...

I'm with Carson and Abby. Love spending time with the kids but boy do they tire me out!! I need to do it more often. Great post Brenda. You don't even look haggard. That's reserved for us 'older' peoples!

TheShippenFamily said...

First I have to say your family is so adorable!! Sounds like a fun Christmas!
We were just talking about your guys last night! All good don't worry.