That's what we got last night at the hospital, more questions. Early Sunday morning I lost my mucus plug (sorry, I'm pregnant, deal with it) and around 3:30pm I started having what I thought were contractions. I know that you may wonder why I don't really know what a contraction feels like, this being my FOURTH baby and all. The truth of the matter is, I don't know what they feel like without the aide of my good friend pitocin. I've always been induced. I have a cervix of cement evidently.
When I called the nurse, at 5:00pm, she told me to definitely come in. I was hungry and had a hunch that it was false labor anyway, so we waited until after dinner. I think that irritated my mom. I don't believe in skipping meals. We got there and the nurses monitored me for a long while. Hospital beds are my favorite, especially when I'm not allowed to roll on my side.
I was right, the contractions weren't real (I did feel like the maternity village idiot), however, they did a fFN test to rule out preterm labor. Negative results on this particular test are highly accurate and they show that the likelihood of me going into labor with the next two weeks are very slim. Positive results are not so reliable, especially after 34 weeks gestation (I'm 34 weeks 3 days...of course). My result was positive. What this means is that I may or may not go into labor in the next couple of weeks. Helpful isn't it?
An ultrasound was ordered to check my placenta placement in the off chance that I do go into labor before my originally scheduled ultrasound on Thursday. They told me that I still had partial placenta previa and that a C-section would have to be done. A bummer but we had already been prepared for that.
They were getting ready to release me (around 12:30am) when the nurse stopped me and said there were conflicting reports on my ultrasound and the doctor wanted me to wait around until she could come talk to me. Another half hour went by and she came back to tell us that I may or may not have partial placenta previa. One report on the SAME ultrasound said I had low lying placenta and the other said it was partial placenta previa. Evidently, the baby's huge melon is casting quite the shadow across the placenta and it's making the ultrasound hard to read. I blame Trevor for the abnormally large noggins my children have all had. If it's low lying placenta I don't have to have a C-section. If it's partial I do. Helpful isn't it? They are calling it partial for now and are hoping to get a better look on Thursday. I'm hoping too.
So what we've learned today is that I may or may not go into preterm labor, I may or may not have placenta previa and I may or may not have to have a C-section (FYI, if there's any question, we're not risking it). I feel more ignorant now than when I started. Helpful, isn't it? Such is life.
10 comments:
I am so sorry! That is a lot of stress that you don't need, so I am going to give you back the advice you gave me years ago when I was pregnant with Elle: worrying is only going to make things worse, and even more likely that you do go into preterm labor. But since I know that is nearly impossible to not worry when it comes to your baby, a helpful tip to go along with it. And this of course comes with an apology for being your weird, crazy, wacky friend becuase its going to make me look nuts to anyone who may read your blog, but I am a HUGE believer in the power of your mind, especially when it comes to having babies, so: Practice daily affirmations. Visualize that little guy staying in there until term and visualize your placenta being out of the way for a vaginal delivery. Tell yourself over and over that your body knows what to do and is capable of keeping him in there long enough to grow and develop healthily. Tell yourself that your placenta knows right where it needs to be. Say these things outloud, its most believable, and really focus on what it is that you want. See it, say it, believe it. When this is all over, you can laugh at me then, but I really wished I had known to even try this type of thing with Nathan, because you can actually help turn a breech baby with this sort of self hypnosis, but then if it hadn't been for that C-section I wouldn't have been as determined, informed, and prepared to do things differently after that. And, who needs to learn the hard way when someone else already has, right? So just try it. Good luck, keep me posted, and if you need to talk, call anytime! I would love to hear from you.
And again, I am sorry if I have embarrassed you for having a crackpot, hocus pocus kind of friend, but it was important enough for me to say, that I was willing to risk it. Love you! :)
URGG!! I am frustrated for you! We will keep praying for a safe delivery, and healthy baby, no matter when or how that might happen! Hang in there sis! Love you!
Not kidding less answers! I'm praying for you guys too. A nice delivery, a happy baby and mom no matter what! And I must say even if you don't feel this way I cannot believe you are 34 weeks already! Where has the time gone?? Love you guys!
well, now that you are all informed as to what may or may not occur, it's bon bons and soap opera time right?
The good news is, somehow, someway, in the next 2 months, you'll be holding a baby and recovering from the birth!
Hugs! Hang in there!
So glad we are clear as mud on everything. I guess time will tell- right. Love you guys so much and can't wait to see you in just a week. YEA!!
Brenda you make me laugh. Even when you are freaking out you still have the state of mind to make others laugh. I know everything will be ok. Just tell Trevor to start giving you more foot, back, shoulder massages. Apparently that is suppose to help alleviate stress. Go figure! xoxo
How frustrating! "Clear as mud" is right. I hope things work out well in the end and nothing too crazy happens. I don't know if you meant to be funny, but you made me laugh.
So scary! take it easy! go eat a bowl of ice cream!
ughh just remember that we love u guys and we think of u all the time!! keep praying and also, everything happens for a reason! always remember our Heavenly Father will not give us something that we cant handle! love u guys! Do I smell brownies???
I'm with Megan on this one. I tried to visualize both of the last babies turning from breech, and they both did. I don't know if that's why, but it can't hurt to try, and you're not out anything if it doesn't work. Here's hoping that your sweet placenta slithers northward. :)
Post a Comment