~I forgot my good camera. I really miss it when I don't have it.~
Well, we've survived our first Pine Wood Derby. The most important thing to me was that Preston had so much fun. The most important thing to Trevor was that it was a learning experience and we have 1000 ideas for next year. I won't mention that 998 of those ideas I suggested several weeks ago and was promptly shut down. But after talking to people who know what they're doing, Trevor has jumped on board the polished axle train (derby talk). It's not like I did hours of research online for tips on creating the fastest car. Nope. I'm just a girl with no derby experience.
Well, we've survived our first Pine Wood Derby. The most important thing to me was that Preston had so much fun. The most important thing to Trevor was that it was a learning experience and we have 1000 ideas for next year. I won't mention that 998 of those ideas I suggested several weeks ago and was promptly shut down. But after talking to people who know what they're doing, Trevor has jumped on board the polished axle train (derby talk). It's not like I did hours of research online for tips on creating the fastest car. Nope. I'm just a girl with no derby experience.
~Recieving his trophy and a look at the track.~
He did win the award for the "sleekest car", but we aren't fooled by consolation prizes! I'm totally kidding. Sort of. His results weren't terrible. He was right in the middle of the pack. At one point, after a less impressive run, I saw him rub his eyes. I think he was fighting a particularly embarrassing emotion. A few minutes later, though, he was back with his buddies and they were carrying on in their loud obnoxious 8 year old ways. Overall, I'll deem it a success. The free breakfast helped.
~The fabulous people who came out to support him (Papa, Mimi, and Uncle Vance).~
After the derby, we had just minutes to spare to get him geared up and over to his third baseball game. He was the starting catcher and was even the lead off hitter! What a change from last year! He is really doing well both at the plate and behind it. So far his batting average is .750;) I really don't think he's had a frustrating or negative moment in a game or at a practice this year. He's LOVING it! And we are loving watching him be awesome!
I know this post is braggy. Deal with it. We're super proud of this dude.
~At first after one of his hits.~
~Behind the plate. It makes my thighs burn just thinking about that crouch.~
~Opening Day.~

~With buddies Evan and Rex on Opening Day.~
~I think I mentioned before how awesome his coaches are. This is Coach Tom. He's been involved in Little League since 1978.~
~His fans, reading a book, playing a game on Trevor's phone and keeping Will from being mauled. I swear we were paying attention to the game too!~
~A sweet one of Lily and Abby on Opening Day.~
~Bet you can guess that the stupid Chick-fil-a cow was at opening day.~
Switching gears to Carson. I took him to Chick-fil-a the other day for lunch. It's a weekly tradition with Heather, Luke and Lily. He asked if he could turn in his kid meal toy for an ice cream cone (I love that they do this and that I don't have to take those chintzy toys home). After I gave my consent, he rushed off to the front counter. He got halfway there and came to a screeching halt, whipped around and sprinted back to me to give me a swift kiss on my cheek. He didn't give a reason, didn't say one word, he just bolted back to get his ice cream. You read it right. CARSON spontaneously kissed me. I am not ashamed to admit that it made me tear up a bit. I work, clean, cook, iron (well, not iron) weeks and weeks for moments like that. It's why I love being a mom.
P.S. I just realized I never let you know Preston's Cardiologists first name. It's Eugene. Eugene Hwang. It cracks me up.
4 comments:
I think Preston's Mommy and Daddy and their perserverance in getting things "just right" for Preston has paid off. The baseball season is little reward for you all--good work Miles's(how do you do that plural thing when your name ends in an s?). I actually do iron, bi-monthly at least and still no spontaneous kiss or any kiss from Carter. SIGH
I am loving the color of your hair. Seems lighter than at Christmas and it looks good lady! All the other stuff is good too. :)
I hope we get to see Preston play sometime this spring. Good job at the Derby! Love you all!
The derby is so much fun! Great job, but maybe next year the boys will learn that Mom ALWAYS knows best! Preston looks so adorable in those baseball pictures. It almost makes me want to sign my boys up- almost. But that would mean soccer, basketball, football- AND baseball- YIKES! I think I'll pass. Love you guys!
Post a Comment