So, my would have been best friend posted on her blog awhile back that an oh-so-ignorant gym employee rudely assumed that she had had gastric bypass. She had lost an amazing 60 pounds in one year through hard work and exercise. I couldn't believe the gall of some people. Really? You actually say something like that to a stranger? Really? But I think I can top it.
Over the past few months, I have been asked twice, by people who KNOW me, when I was due. Really? Isn't that a question you only ask if you know FOR CERTAIN that an overweight person is expecting? REALLY! But that's not the worst one. I even had someone suggest that I have lap band surgery now that we have our own insurance. Really?!
Now don't get me wrong. I could stand to lose a few (or 60), but REALLY?! Is it so bad that I should go under the knife? Really? But that's just the point. Do these people think I don't know what I look like? Really? That it hasn't dawned on me that I haven't lost the baby weight from Will...or Abby...or Carson...or the 20 I put on when I moved to California? I know. No one knows more than me, I promise. You don't have to chuck dumbbells in my face to alert me to the fact. REALLY!
When unfortunate situations like these arise, I'm cool about them. I laugh it off and try to make the offender not see my fat cells swell with irritation. The person who may suffer most is my soft place to land. Poor Trevor gets to see me wallow in self pity and has to try to power lift my self esteem off of the floor. It's a lot of weight. It's a wonder he doesn't strain something. He spends weeks and months adoring me and gushing over how beautiful I am. Just when I'm about to believe him, Jillian Michaels shows up in the form of acquaintances with her forked tongue lashing out subtle fat comments. Grrr.
Maybe I'm mostly upset with myself. A-I've let myself go. B-I let other people get to me. It shouldn't matter what other people (aka stupid people) say. But it does. And it hurts.
I'm done now. Please don't fill my comment box with helpful hints on how to lose weight. I know them all. I did Weight Watchers. It didn't work. They wanted me to count points and actually participate in the program. I still don't know what went wrong. Instead, fill it with exclamations on the fact that I am so skinny that if I lost 5 pounds I would look emaciated and a stiff wind would surely blow me straight to OZ.
P.S. Sorry for all the "really" nonsense. I just watched SNL and I couldn't love Seth Meyers and Amy Pohler more. Read on for a more lighthearted post and know that it's subject is much more significant to me.
10 comments:
Oh seriously! That is why I never and I mean never ask unless it's completely obvious. One time I said no when I was asked the 'due' question and the lady said, 'Really?' with complete shock that I could look the way I did and not be pregnant. The audacity. Sorry Brenda, people are so rude. I'm so glad you have a soft place to fall. LOVE YOU!
I'm so sorry, Brenda. Within a period of about 2 weeks I had two people ask me the same question. I was mortified! Of course, I laughed it off in front of them, but then Jay got the brunt of it when I got home (both times). You & I have a lot in common. :) Mostly that we both have husbands who think we're cute no matter what we weigh. :)
People can be so cruel sometimes. I to am glad you have a soft place to fall. xxxxx
Remember Brenda, according to the Bell Curve, half the population is dumb, the other half is smart. Just be grateful you are on the smart half. Many people never do "figure it out". (That comment was from your Father)
I am sorry, I do not understand why people say things like that.
I'm so sorry! That is so rude of people. I'm like Melanie, I want to know for sure before asking or it would not be nice.
So sorry! People truly can be so insensitive and it sucks because they think they are being so helpful and kind. Just butt out people! You're absolutely gorgeous, hilarious, caring and smart. So there!
People should shut it down. And I mean that. My softball coach asked me in sixth grade if I had gained weight over the summer. When practice was over, I left the field and never went back. Forget t.v. and magazines telling us we're fat...stupid people we ACTUALLY KNOW say that crap!!!
Besides, we are twinners in our size 2 jeans, we've got gorgeous children and super awesome men who love us....so suck it!
You don’t know me but I found your blog through my brother’s (David Heumann) and first of all you are hilarious and a very good writer. Second, I had a lady at work ask me if I’ve ever thought about lap ban surgery as well, and just had to say that I feel your pain. People are rude. But, I’d rather have my fat a$$ than her ugly face… Just sayin.
Post a Comment