Thursday, June 17, 2010

Reunions, Freezer Jam, And The Pox

So, yeah. We went to the Miles Family Reunion. It was awesome. There are a lot of crazy people in our family. It makes me proud. 4 1/2 hours isn't enough time for all the crazy, but we tried. The kids had some fun in the bounce house, swimming in the lake (more on that in a bit), playing games, hitting pinatas, and eating shaved ice (with flavors like, bubble gum and tiger's blood).



The adults had fun chatting, eating, playing "minute to win it" games, eating and chatting. We dig getting together with everyone. Especially when we inadvertently expose them all to the pox.


I swear we didn't know. After all, he has chronic dry skin and we thought it was eczema. There were no spots on his face or trunk area (until Monday which prompted me to finally take him to his pediatrician on Tuesday) just on his arms and legs. Plus, he's had two varicella vaccinations, so clearly he couldn't get chicken pox. Clear as mud. We truly apologize. If it makes you feel better (and it DOES NOT make me feel better), swimming in a lake at a family reunion isn't kosher with a kid with the pox. They get bacterial infections and their knees swell and get all red and hot. Then they go on antibiotics. On a brighter note, I drained the aforementioned knee. Disgustingly satisfying. It feels much better today and he was able to practice and will play in the Little League Championship game on Saturday morning. Whew. On a side note, his doctor has informed us that he is no longer contagious and is free to mingle with the rest of the population. His brothers and sister however...


And speaking of the price of eggs, I made freezer jam. For the first time. Ever. Not to brag or anything, but I'll bet it's the best freezer jam ever made in the history of man. I'm a natural. A bonafide jamming phenom with a box of Sure-Jell in my hand. One rookie mistake. I bought way, way, way too many strawberries. I made 5 batches (26ish containers) of jam and have enough left to make 7 more. So they're sitting patiently pureed, in freezer bags, until I find the time (or the will) to finish.

8 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

Will the Doc. inform the CDC that he got the pox after two vaccinations, I think they should make a note of that. Good work on the jam, I have to do that this summer, I make enough to last two years so I don't have to face the process every year.

Holly said...

We have sure been thinking of Pres! Hope he is feeling better soon! Although it seemed to have not slowed him that much. Kids are crazy! YUM on the jam! Maybe we'll fly in for breakfast (toast and jam!) one of these days! :0)

Heidi said...

What a fun family reunion. That's too bad about the chicken pox. They look painful and how lame that he still got it after 2 vaccinations! That's not very promising. As for the jam, those strawberries look delish. I always keep puree in my freezer and then make jam when I need it. It's a great system b/c it doesn't take up that much room.

Louise said...

Beautiful! Not the pox, the jam. I am very impressed, I'm getting my strawberries tomorrow, wish you were here, don't you???

The Fear Fam said...

Poor Preston. I remember having the chicken pox in 2nd grade ... I had to miss our class Valentine's Party! It was tragic. I was supposed to bring peanuts. (My how times have changed!) Anyway, I wish him well and hope the other kiddos don't get it.

Great job on the freezer jam! I made some for the first time last year and it turned out pretty good. Thanks for the reminder to make another batch!

Heather said...

Impressive jam making sister! I have been saying for years that I'm going to do it. Then summer comes and I barely have time to buy strawberries let along make jam. I'm proud of you- it looks awesome. Hope Prestons feeling better- poor guy!

Suzanne said...

Poor Preston, those knees look pretty sore. We don't have a vaccine for Chicken pox here and both the girls have had it. It's not nice.

Nothing as good as homemade Jam and fresh homemade brown bread. Well done

Joneel said...

wow, I'd love to taste some of your jam. Also, it's unreal that he got the chicken pox after the vaccinations. CRAZY