"Guys Eyes" is a male disorder (named in the early 21st century, by psychologist Courtney Andersen) that renders a man completely blind to something right in front of his face. For instance, when we were leaving to go, I asked Trevor to grab Preston's shoes from the basement. Brenda: "They are on the floor in front of the couch." Trevor: "They aren't here!" Brenda: "Yes they are! Look harder!" Trevor: "They aren't here!" I huff downstairs and spot a blanket on the floor in front of the couch. In the case of a man with "Guys Eyes", it's not apparent to them to actually move anything that may be obstructing their view of whatever it is that they are searching for. I removed the blanket and low and behold..."I told you they were here!" Most men will stand, blankly staring around them, without moving anything in their way or moving themselves at all. This is "Guys Eyes". Think of it the next time your honey can't find something in the fridge.
A "Man Cold" is the condition of a man who has a mild to moderate illness and acts like he is going to die. In many cases, the man's wife will have the same illness and go throughout her day without missing a beat. See example below.
All 3 of my children have been sick, Preston and Abby even spiked fevers of 102. Trevor's hasn't been higher than 99.8, yet, I feel as though the kids have been vastly...tougher. This morning, Trev was hit with "Guys Eyes" and a "Man Cold" all at once. I was trying to get the boys ready for school, yelling for them to get dressed, brush teeth, comb hair, while also changing, dressing and doing Abby's hair. Trevor is muddling around in the medicine box and finally asks me where the decongestant is. I tell him it's downstairs in the cabinet with the glasses. He schlumps down...then back up, and declares it's not there. I've hit my limit.
"Trevor, you're just going to have to wait. I'm trying to get everyone ready for school and you'll just have to wait your turn!" Why? Why is it so hard? I run the kids to school and when I come back he's given up on me and taken some Dimatapp instead. Which he claims "Made me almost throw up". I go downstairs and look in the cabinet with the glasses. Can you guess what's in there?
He spends the rest of the day in bed and only comes down when I insist that he watch Carson, so I can take Preston to the doctor. I even took Abby with me. He swears he has strep. I inform him that is highly unlikely, since he's had his tonsils out. He calls me as we are waiting to get an X-Ray of Pres's chest (he has to have one before he sees his cardiologist) and tells me that he needs to go to the doctor. But he doesn't know where to go. He asks me if I have the number of the Instacare he went to once. OH MY OZ! He is utterly helpless. I say in my most patient voice that, no, I don't know the number, why doesn't he look it up. He calls back and says they don't take our insurance. What should he do? I tell him to call his doctor to see if they can fit him in or tell him of a different instacare, but before I can even finish my sentence, he says "I'll just wait until you get home".
I then make the phone calls for him in the car, and two minutes later, I have a new instacare for him to go to. I just don't understand. Why? Why is that so hard?
He's there now and just text messaged me "I'm miserable". I'm not kidding. I love the man, as you all know, but everyone has their flaws! I can vent about this because I'm his wife, right? Now I feel guilt. I'm sure after I've gone on and on about all this he'll end up having pneumonia or something terrible. It would serve me right.
*Editor's note * He has strep throat and had a fever of 102 at the doctors office. He wants me to inform everybody that he called it. You can all say it. I'm a jerk.
16 comments:
That was a great laugh. I have never heard of man eyes but Steve has the worst case of it. I feel like I have to do everything for him.
Oh Brenda, I had such a good laugh over this. You are dead on with this. I can totally Trevor doing this. Although I think that this is probably something other than a "man cold" and "guys eyes". I would call it the "Miles cold" or "Miles eyes" because I truly hate to admit it, but I have the same problem. Ryan gets a little frustrated with me. I know, I know its hard to believe, but I am a big baby when I am sick and I want to be babied. Also when I can't find something I have to ask Ryan to find it, and 95% of the time he finds it.......Hey what can I say except you guys are the ones that couldn't get enough of Miles.
I'm beginning to think its a neglected child hood thing. What do you think????? ;)
Chel-not neglected, just hereditary!
Hahaha! Thanks for making me chuckle, Brenda. Jay doesn't get many Man Colds but the Guys Eyes thing sure hit home!
And I'm sorry Trevor has strep, but tell him to suck it up! I had strep a month or two ago and had to take care of all 3 kids (and me)by myself since Jay's gone and left me all alone to follow his dreams or whatever. ;o) I couldn't even send him pathetic text messages!!!
(All that being said, I do feel sorry for Trevor...strep is h-e-double-hockeysticks.)
Ha Ha. I was going to tell you that you CAN get strep without tonsils. I've gotten it a few times and I don't have tonsils either. But then......you found out he DOES have it. Poor guy. I think the worst, is being sick when you have a baby. That IS the worst!! But yah, about the man eye thing. Sounds like something that goes on around here too! = )
No way! You are not a jerk! Does he make all your phone calls to doctors when you are sick? Probably not. You shouldn't have to make all his.
And I think he did the thermometer on the light bulb trick at the Dr. office to get a higher temperature.
I'm so glad my husband isn't the only one with these two diseases...although we haven't had the man cold all season, guys eyes seem to plauge us daily! Hope you feel better soon Trevor. Strep is the worst!
All my children must have inherited the "guys eyes" from their dad. It certainly wasn't from me!
Oh, Trevor how the mighty have fallen!! I thourougly enjoyed this blog. And Chelsey I would say if anything the base cause of "Miles Cold" is a classic case of "underneglecting" which Michael thinks I am doing to our children. He thinks I am at their beck and call and that they won't know what to do the first time life inconviences them. However, when Michael is sick walk softly when you bring him the freshly squeezed o.j. please!!
Why does that scenario sound so familiar? Oh ya, that's because I'm married to a man with a classic case of guys eyes and man cold! I am sorry he has strep that totally sucks (and personally I'm sorry for you that he was right:).
You are a jerk!! Ha I can sympothize with Trev because I know what strep is like!!
Oh baby, that was a good read. I'd never heard of "guys eyes", and as I read it by Man Cold, I thought it was some drippy nastiness that would come out of their eyes....blegh.
So Brandon has a slight case of it, but Cameron has it BAD. And not only the inability to look under things (like a blanket), but just not seeing it AT ALL. AT ALL if it's right in front of his face. Anyway, yes, great post.
Brenda I love how smart you made me sound! I thought everyone has heard the saying "Guys Eyes" I use it almost daily! Good post!
It must be a recessive trait in women though, because I get it occasionally, hubby gets it with abou the same frequency I do. But the man cold, thing, oh yeah. Whenever he gets sick he acts like he is dying, and oh so sick. Though he isn't that demanding, which is worse because if he actually needs something he won't tell me right off, I have to guess.
CaraDee sent me.
That is so funny. Brad definately has the Guys Eyes thing. It DRIVES ME CRAZY!!
Was Trevor offended that the Man Cold reminded me of him??
I hope you guys all get feeling better!
Post a Comment